• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hybrid 231 weirdness

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Ahoi.
I'm doing a 5.3/4l60e swap in my 98 xj. I decided to go with the AA trans>case adapter because it was my only good option to both get GM VSS and retain my SYE. JBconversions seems to be the only one who makes an SYE housing for the NP231/241 with a GM VSS, but they don't answer their phones and apparently have nothing in stock. Even if I COULD get one of their kits, I don't wanna break something and have to wait a year for a replacement.

So anyhow, I needed a 27spline, long input shaft (comes with the AA kit for an extra $200), and happened to be at the wrecker and found all the parts I needed to solve several problems at once.
Found an NP241c (presumably from a 2000+ S1500) case sitting open. It had the long input, wide bearing, 27spline with 6 pinion planetary, so I grabbed it.
Found an old (pre 94) S10 with an NP231c, so I grabbed that as well for the internals.
I also have my stock 98XJ NP231j, as well as an NP231j from a pre-94 XJ.

I decided to stick the following together:
  • 241c long input shaft and planetary
  • 231c wide bearing, shift selector and lever, and everything else except the main/output shaft
  • 231j (late model) main/output shaft (for SYE)

I (think I) verified that the 241c planetaries mated correctly with my late model sun gear. I tried the early model 231c planetary and it definitely didn't sound right, while the 241c and 231j (late) both sounded identical.

Stuck the case back together, but it really doesn't want to shift properly. I'm pretty confident I didn't forget anything, but I can barely shift it by hand. Took it apart several times to inspect, cross referenced against all the parts left sitting on the bench, and everything looks good.
But it's still not shifting right. It seems to get stuck between gears often so I somehow get the following pattern:
  1. 4 high
  2. neutral with grinding/chain noise
  3. 4 high
  4. 4 low
  5. 2 low (sometimes)

Every couple shifts will be correct, with 2high, neutral, 4high, 4low, but then I'll swing through the range again and something won't be right and it's still real hard to shift.
I also tried putting back in the 231j selector, and range/shift assemblies but the same issue.

Am I just undervaluing the power of lubrication? Is this just because I haven't got any fluid in there yet, or is there something I'm missing?

Also, the 231c has what looks to be a brass syncro between the chain sprocket and shift selector. I also had to remove the needle bearings from the 231 sprockets (which I've heard is okay, as they were removed in later years because they were found to be unnecessary).

Back