• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO swap with cloumn shift

WiscoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 90 MJ with column shift and I am swapping a 94 xj dash and full harness into it. I would like to keep the column shift, but the renix style connectors on the column are not the same as the xj ones. anyone ever work with any of this before? I have the electrical troubleshooting guide for the MJ so I have everything pinned out for that side so if someone could supply me with the pinouts for the XJ dash that would help! Thanks!

looking at wiring diagrams the components look as though they function the same way, but the only diagrams I have for the xj are alldata ones which aren't as detailed as the jeep ones. the wires are all mixed about though, not same color or anything. MJ has 3 plugs Xj has 4

it's been a while, so I may be wrong, but isn't the column up to 95 the same GM style colun? If so, wouldn't the 94 switch bolt to the older column and just require some linkage mods to work?
It may not even need that.
A quick google showed me a picture of the 94 switch and it looks just like the early AMC style.
Be way easier to make the 94 switch work than to hack up your harness.

I have a tilt column in my Cherokee if that makes any difference. On the Cherokee its all enclosed components right by the wheel and the mj it has wires running about half way down the column

so thats the chrysler style switch that is all enclosed with the tumbler, as opposed to the GM style that's a rod that actuates is down on the column.
you're gonna end up making a pigtail to adapt them.

I swapped a 94 harness in my 86 and it plugged right in. I not sure why yours won't plug in. When you say it's all enclosed that tells me it is a OBD-II era harness out of a 96. Did the donor have a drivers side airbag?

No airbags here's the connectors
Xj
87be2f7bfe3c02ea5c89bb42469ae4a1.jpg

Mj
1ed9672bd3280e7cfbd34801adb1c9e0.jpg
d71876114f249c34cf2365e41e375aa9.jpg
d3e73dfc93d6ef081e28372ae24244f8.jpg

It is totally different from my 94 harness. I could have got a early 94 and you got a late 94 or mine was actually a 93 with a title error. That's happened a few times working on Jeeps.

You are going to need to make a pigtail adapter. You will also need to make one for the fuel pump, brake lights and tail lights. There is a write up in the DIY section of ComancheClub for that one.

It is totally different from my 94 harness. I could have got a early 94 and you got a late 94 or mine was actually a 93 with a title error. That's happened a few times working on Jeeps.

You are going to need to make a pigtail adapter. You will also need to make one for the fuel pump, brake lights and tail lights. There is a write up in the DIY section of ComancheClub for that one.

I did that adapter for the rear already. Found that info in that thread you mentioned. Ill probably add to that thread my findings for the column shift since it doesn't look like its done too often. Thanks guys!

Back