• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Checked dash lights and airback went off! Please help!

Reddleman

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been having the speedometer periodically not work for the past few years, but lately it got worse. So I thought I'd do a little diagnosis.

Thought I would check the dash connection first. So I did the diagnostic- put the key in, pushed the trip meter and turned the key to "run" and. . .

BANG! :eek:

Passenger airbag goes off! Only good thing is that the driver's didn't- otherwise I'd probably be in the hospital right now.

Once I got over how weird it was, I took my chances and started it up- ran fine, dash still flaky.

So now I have a few problems:

1. tripped passenger air bag
2. cracked windshield
3. dash still doesn't work correctly
4. Powder all over my front seat
5. Slight ringing in my right ear.

So what would you do next? I'm at a loss.

:eek:

I would immediately disconnect the driver's airbag before it gets me.

I suppose next intelligent step would be to study the circuit that involves the passenger airbag and trace some wires looking for interesting culprits. Maybe something pinched or chafed...

I just checked and there was a recall for the airbag module in 2000:

So if I check in with my local dealer will they fix this?

I'm thinking they should replace my airbag and windshield too. . . Anybody have experience on this one?:dunno:

Here's the recall:

Original Recall from the NHTSA
Manufacturer's Report Date: May 15, 2000
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00V105000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:SENSOR/CONTROL MODULE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 395,000
Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. WATER AND/OR ROAD SALT IN THE PROXIMITY OF THE AIR BAG CONTROL MODULE COULD LEAD TO CORROSION.
Consequence: SUCH CORROSION CAN LEAD TO ILLUMINATION OF THE AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT OR COULD ALLOW INADVERTENT DEPLOYMENT OF THE AIR BAGS.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE AIR BAG CONTROL MODULE AND LOCATE THE NEW MODULE ON THE TOP OF THE TRANSMISSION TUNNEL.
Notes: OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MAY 15, 2000. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-992-1997. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

I had a similar issue on a 98xj a few years back. Reached in started up the jeep and boom. Luckily I was standing outside of the vehicle when my drivers side bag blew. I never did anything about it just kept driving it with a deployed airbag. Seems if i can remember right in 98 the airbag control module was located under drivers seat and which was submerged many times in deep water holes. Sorry I can't really help much. My current 98 has an illuminated airbag light. I pulled the fuses.

Here's the Airbag quick disconnect location.

Remove the battery negative post connector and wait at least five minutes, then remove the trim panel and knee blocker from below the steering column. Unplug the yellow connector shown in the pic. It will isolate both airbags from the air bag control module until you can fix your problem.

The connector is called C205.

DSCF3023.jpg

DANG! I have had an airbag go off during a wreck and I can only imagine. Sorry to hear that.

That would be an excellent anti-carjacking feature...let the perp get in the passenger seat, and then "Hey man, I'm just going to re-set my trip meter"

Back