• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crooked steering wheel

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Don't know if this is oem or modify as I have a fsj 4bolt steering box lol.
So I swapped on a free yj stock steering linkage to get rid of, what I thought was bent, stock xj drag link. Might have been wrong on that.
Anyways, the pitman is straight backwards
a7003c8d9f9813bb2110da3aeba955ab.jpg

I installed the fsj box about two years ago and did it correctly. But......,
83950829001e3816ce1a29e83f4454a7.jpg

My steering wheel is like this, I've checked the column shaft and collar and it isn't stripped or twisted where it connects to the steering box.
Is this a sign my box broke? I'm able steer fine, the only thing I've noticed is under very cold conditions that upon start up, the steering wheel seems frozen for a second and it's hard to turn but after it turns just fine. everything I've read about that is just maybe some moisture in the steering fluid.

If my box is broke or getting there, other than westtexasoffroad any other company or people that can rebuild a fsj box? I don't want to go Durango nor xj. I like this box and it's weird if this is broke as I've been reading others running much bigger tires in rocks and it working great(reference: I'm on 31" tires)

Check and make sure your axle is centered. If not, adjust it with the track bar. Once you complete that, then adjust the wheel position with the adjusters on your arm from the pitman down to the knuckle.

Check and make sure your axle is centered. If not, adjust it with the track bar. Once you complete that, then adjust the wheel position with the adjusters on your arm from the pitman down to the knuckle.

The axle is centered and the drag link is centered with the pitman arm facing backwards. Back in November before the nw had the thanksgiving run, my steering was fine, steering wheel was centered, pitman was centered, and the dragline/tie rod. Afterwards I noticed my steering wheel was tilted and assumed the drag link was bent as the tie rod was straight. Which led me to swapping to this yj steering linkage.
Maybe I'm just thick headed but are the pitman arms suppose to point directly back? So that the swing of the pitman arm is equal both left and right?

Doesn't matter if the pitman arm is straight back or not. It can only be clocked every 90° anyways. Adjust the drag link. Test drive. Check and see if you need more adjustments.

Turn the steering wheel lock to lock and count the turns. Then move it to the center of the range. The steering wheel should be pretty close to straight ahead. If not, you have a problem with the steering wheel not being on the shaft correctly. The shaft has a flat on it that should make it impossible to connect it to the steering gear the wrong way. Then make sure the pitman arm is pointing pretty much straight back. Once that is finished, adjust the drag link to make the wheels point straight forward.

Turn the steering wheel lock to lock and count the turns. Then move it to the center of the range. The steering wheel should be pretty close to straight ahead. If not, you have a problem with the steering wheel not being on the shaft correctly. The shaft has a flat on it that should make it impossible to connect it to the steering gear the wrong way. Then make sure the pitman arm is pointing pretty much straight back. Once that is finished, adjust the drag link to make the wheels point straight forward.

That's the issue I'm having, I've made sure when I first installed this box that it was dead center on the turns(1.75 turn left and 1.75 turns right) and as I said earlier that shaft connecting to the steering gear isn't stripped.
My xj is a 97' with cruise control on the wheel, is it possible to stripped the wheel or something on the column shaft? I've never pulled the wheel off. I know before my last wheeling trip it was centered

So, follow the procedure I outlined and observe everything. The procedure will work or find the problem.

First thing first. Rotate the steering wheel back and forth and find the center. Then post up if the steering wheel is in the correct orientation. Then see if the pitman arm is in the correct orientation. If those two are correct, you need to adjust the track bar and drag link.

Back