• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering whine.

MatthewFenn1997

NAXJA Forum User
My power steering has been whining when i turn. At first i added fluid, but it puked it back out. Can't find a leak. I was told by a mechanic that my pump was out. But the pump is still running. I've been told it may be a kinked hardline somewhere or a leak in my steering box. But if my steering box was leaking, It wouldn't need to puke as there wouldn't be a high pressure issue, am i right? I can't find a kinked line anywhere. So what might be my other options?

Gonna flush it this weekend. Plus when I flush it, I'll also completely clean it so I can pinpoint it. Grabbed some fluid and Lucas PS repair. Heard it's the only stuff that works worth a damn. After the flush, how long should I drive it before deciding if it's going to stop whining or not? I have noticed my steering feels a little more loose since the whining started. So that would also be a bi-product of the pressure loss from a leak? Never had to do any power steering work, and this is my first jeep. So i'll keep learning.

Make sure you have the correct PS fluid, but I think all the XJ had a pretty low PS fluid standard, i.e. just about any PS fluid on the shelf would meet it, just don't remember what the spec is at the moment. I've been using ATF+4 as my XJ PS fluid, although NOT specifically recommended for retro-fit to the XJ, it is recommended for other Chrysler vehicles with higher PS fluid specs than the XJ. It runs great. NOTE: ATF+4 is a superior synthetic ATF, so using ATF+4 as PS fluid does NOT mean its OK to use any old ATF as PS fluid. In fact most vehicles recommend against using Dexron and many of the older inferior ATF's and if you do, they likely will NOT protect your PS system.

You know the best way to flush PS, right? Put the front axle on jack stands, so the wheels are off the ground, disconnect the return line to the PS reservoir and run it to a bucket, Keep the Engine off the whole time, then just turn the steering wheel lock to lock left and right, the steering box will pump all the fluid out of the system. Pour a little new fluid in, and repeat to flush out all the old fluid, reconnect the return line, fill it and turn the wheels to get it pumped through and the air out. All the air won't be out until you drive it a few miles, turn the wheel lock to lock in a parking lot.

Despite what the OM says, PS fluid does NOT last the life of the vehicle, especially a nearly 20 year old vehicle. You may have a problem, but really old, sheered down fluid might be contributing to it, at least the noise.

The Return line is usually the line running from the steering box to the reservoir, the supply line usually runs from the pump to the reservoir. On some PS systems, the reservoir mounts on the pump itself, so the only line would be the return line. Usually the return line is the narrower one as well.

No kinks, and the only dampness i can find is coming from the cap. gonna clean it as best I can and check it tomorrow every time i stop to see if it's leaking from anywhere other than the cap. Tomorrow afternoon i'm gonna flush and if the reservoir is leaking, Epoxy that POS as a quick fix until i get paid. Hopefully I just need the Lucas and a flush. Thanks for the help!

Back