• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive line brake

Lanthanaas

NAXJA Forum User
I heard about an emergency brake upgrade or replacement that clamps the drive line in place, preventing the wheels from moving at all. It seems like a great upgrade to have if you need to winch another vehicle.

My Jeep didn't have an emergency brake when I got it, so I figured I may as well put in the better option now rather than upgrade later. I've been searching online, but I'm coming up empty. Any help would be much appreciated.

Something like this?

CIMG2195.jpg

From one of NAXJA's own, click here

This literally took about 3 minutes of surfing on google.

I hope this helps!

My Range Rover had a factory rear driveshaft parking brake. I'm not sure of the advantage for winching. At some point, if you are trying to winch really hard, you probably should have something bigger than an XJ. If the object you're winching is pretty stuck, and the winch powerful, you will simply pull your XJ towards it. Consider that the ground under the tires will give way, the parking brake will fail to hold, etc. In some cases you need to anchor the vehicle with the winch to a tree, etc.

If your driveshaft fails, your ebrake becomes useless. I'd stick with wheel mounted ebrakes. When you say your jeep doesn't have them, are they there and just not connected or did somebody do a swap/conversion?

I think it was the hydraulic one that was mentioned to me.

As far as the current situation goes, there's no handle or cabling for the parking brake and I couldn't see the shoes either. It's a standard transmission so all I have is the gears to keep it from rolling away.

What is the axle/brake setup?

I'm not sure. The jeep is fairly new to my possession and I'm learning as I go. Is there a way I can find out?

The guy who put the jeep together said that he swapped the brakes to a type that brake a bit slower but are designed not to pull the vehicle to one side when braking hard.

I'm not sure. The jeep is fairly new to my possession and I'm learning as I go. Is there a way I can find out?

The guy who put the jeep together said that he swapped the brakes to a type that brake a bit slower but are designed not to pull the vehicle to one side when braking hard.

Take a picture of it.

All brakes are designed not to pull side to side

Im guessing discs. They are all designed not to pull obviously, but one type (discs) are way better at that than the other (drums). Doesnt really explain the "brakes a little slower" part though since discs have way better stopping power in general than drums

a line-lock like that wouldnt be a good parking brake unless you wired it with a toggle switch. that would work ok until the battery power drained down enough to let the solenoid release.
maybe for a temporary trail parking brake but not for long term parking.

it would be alot less work to try to reconfigure the stock set-up, than to try to incorporate something like a driveline brake into the equation.

you say you are learning as you go, so i'm inclined to suggest that it's probably beyond your mechanical ability at this early stage.

talk to the previous owner, tell him to give yo as much specifics on the system as he can and write it all down. it's likely someone here has that set-up or in the very least would know enough about it to tell you what is best for the situation.

a line-lock like that wouldnt be a good parking brake unless you wired it with a toggle switch. that would work ok until the battery power drained down enough to let the solenoid release.
maybe for a temporary trail parking brake but not for long term parking.
QUOTE]

There are manual line locks.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Park-Lok-Hydraulic-Brake,1970.html
https://www.mico.com/products/lever-lock
I wouldn't want to rely on a hydraulic line brake for long-term parking, seals do leak.

Driveshaft brakes do work well, when in 4X4, if they are powerful enough.
They suck on 2WD vehicles, lift one rear wheel and the rig rolls away.
My E450 motorhome uses one, technology right out of the 1920s.

it would be alot less work to try to reconfigure the stock set-up, than to try to incorporate something like a driveline brake into the equation.

you say you are learning as you go, so i'm inclined to suggest that it's probably beyond your mechanical ability at this early stage.
Yeah the more and more I see, the more I'm coming to that realization.

Last time I was at the junkyard, I took a look at the parking brake on the most recent wreck (the rest are skeletons right now). It looked pretty corroded so I didn't bother trying to extract it, but I got a good look at how it hooks up. Is this something that I would be better off spending the extra money to buy new?

talk to the previous owner, tell him to give yo as much specifics on the system as he can and write it all down. it's likely someone here has that set-up or in the very least would know enough about it to tell you what is best for the situation.

I'm hopefully going to be seeing him in the next couple weeks. I'll see if he has it written down then if I don't hear from him sooner. He did mention the Jeep is pretty well known to northwest rally racers as "Sweep Jeep" and he's the one who introduced me to this forum. Maybe someone on here is familiar with it too?

Back