• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED tail light/side marker question...

Hellbent

NAXJA Forum User
did some searching, couldn't find anything about this particular function.
i'm going to be putting my jcr tail light boxes and related rear led's on the '89 xj tomorrow sometime.
i'm running the tail light/stop separate from the turn signals, as is o.e., upper will be tail/stop, lower will be just turn by itself. back up lights will be set into the hatch, most likely....still thinking about that.
i would like to have the rear side marker flash with the turn signal, but be on steady as a running light when the lights are on. basically the same way the front side markers work on the post renix models(going to be rewiring my fronts that way, already got that down).
i've been mulling it over and can't think of a way to do it without completely overcomplicating the wiring. if it's going to be a pain in the ass, i'll just leave the side markers as steady-on running lights and be done with it.
it'd just be nice in the interest of safety and functionality to have the front and rear sides flash with the turn signals.
anyone do this, or know of a way to do so without converters, relays, or any of that? i just want simple and reliable, hence keeping the turns separate from the tail/brake lights.

not without doing some extensive wiring no. It would require you having 2 relays and wiring them together so that when you turn the turn signal on it turns off the marker light. Unless you want to cut a big oval hole in it vertically and fit the large red oval lights that have the 3 prong plug it would just really over complicate it to do what you're trying to do. Sorry bubs just stick to the marker only IMO.

I wired side markers on a buddy's Acura once. The light was on with the lights and flashed the opposite of the blinker while the headlights were on and with the blinker when the headlights were off. It was wired to the negative of the headlight and the negative of the blinker If I remember correctly. It's been about ten years or so since we installed them. Look up how to wire side markers on an Acura RSX if this doesn't seem right too you. Good luck

thanks guys. jgshields is right.
I played around with them, and found that wiring the marker ground through the turn signal, I could get the marker to flash opposite the turn signal on that side. this was *only* with the headlights on though. with headlights off, it just didn't do anything. seems the "diode" part of the light emitting diode prevented power from flowing the "other way".
no big deal, just left them as simple running lights and finished up the install.
everything else worked perfectly.

Back