• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot and Loud

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
So for you guys who have raptor lined your interior (e.g. removed your carpet) is it extremely hot or loud? I want to do this to my dd and am looking for advice.

Ive been wanting to undercoat my floor, but put the carpet back in. At least from the back seat forward.

I Monstaline'd the interior of mine, but then put the carpet back in for noise reduction. Have always debated pulling it back out, maybe when it sees less road than rocks, for now I prefer being able to hear the stereo, when the doors are attached.

I'm also curious. Have any of you guys tried the lizard skin product and then sprayed monstaliner or raptor liner over it?

I really want to avoid putting carpet back into the jeep but I don't want to bake if I am taking a road trip.

Mine is gutted and muffler super close to underbody--it is loud(esp cammed and louder exhaust stroker). If you still have a/c, you won't bake. I wonder how much cooler the ax15 runs than the aw4.

Last edited:
Mine is gutted and muffler super close to underbody--it is loud(esp cammed and louder exhaust stroker). If you still have a/c, you won't bake. I wonder how much cooler the ax15 runs than the aw4.

The engine on my old ax15 xj was noticeably cooler in the summer. The E-fan hardly ever kicked on unless I was stuck idling in traffic. But it is louder than normal just lined. Maybe if you do an extra thick layer? The trans tunnel gets warm. Which was nice winter time but sometimes a little to warm summer in 100+ days. My remedy for sound was louder speakers.

AX-15's can still produce a good amount of heat. Especially if the boot around the shifter is torn.

The front foot box areas got hotter than holy hell when I ran without carpet. It was a bit louder, too. By the time you ran your hand back to the seat area it wasn't much hotter than anywhere else on the vehicle.
Eventually I got another carpet, sectioned it so it went in / out easier if I needed to dry it, and laid some sound / heat insulation underneath the carpet too. Good heavy rubber floor mats on top of that.

I put bedliner down. Don't recall the brand. I think I only put down one coat. It was nice being able to hose / scrub brush things on occasion and not worry about snowy / slushy boots soaking the carpet and causing rust but a good set of floor mats will accomplish almost as much and keep the cab more comfortable.

I used rustoleum rattle can bedliner in my 87 supra. I removed all the carpet and sound/heat insulation so it was bare metal floor and it is loud but not that bad, I thought. Most of the noise is small rocks hitting the floor it seems, the bedliner just doesn't deaden those high pitch sounds at all. It's hotter but not anything crazy. My cat runs right under the floor and I can put my hand right there and it feels warm but not hot. It has a manual transmission and the trans tunnel is warm but not Hot. Not sure if an Auto would be a lot worse.

Just depends what you can tolerate as a DD, I think it would be fine and haven't had an issue with my Supra. I actually have several 1-2" holes in my floors that I never bothered to seal up, freaks people out when they drive with me but I don't even notice them anymore.

I didnt find the noise to be that bad. But i will say that the shackle clanking on the rear bumper is louder now. The heat i did notice but i feel its the best way to know the floor is not rotting out and dry. So i just put up with the heat.

I removed the carpet and had the floor completely rino lined. Put removable floor drains and put marine speakers in the doors. Love the fact I can hose it all out makes is so easy. But as others have stated it gets hot as all get out. The muffler melted my rubber floor mats so put a heat shield where your muffler is and A/C helps... My next step is better Trans cooler and removable doors for those hot days.... I also have a three fan upgrade kit seems to help for the feet area and hoping the 2 1/2 exhaust will help lower temps a little with the better flow... As for the sound it's not too bad if you run your tail pipe road noise is normal with the rino linned little loud with out it

it's still plenty hot with an AX-15.

It's more the fact that the cooling air exits underneath and gets pushed into the trans tunnel/front floorboard.

I'll never remove the carpet again. Was miserable wheeling in hot weather.

Back