• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disc brake hardware

tebbsjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a definitive answer, is there or is there not brake hardware clips for the front brakes? I've never used any, but the part stores say there is. I can't see how they'd mount to the knuckle, but I can see the use for them because there is a wear spot on the knuckle where the top of the pad sits. Does anyone know for a fact if there is hardware clips/springs that should be in place?

The front of course are disc.

There is a spring clip riveted to the backside of the inner brake pad that goes inside the caliper piston to hold things together during assembly. And there is a clip on the outer pad that anchors it to the caliper for the same reason.
p-17172-01.jpg

The shims you are referring to in the second half of your question do exist. They come with certain brands of brake pads. Not everyone supplies them. And I think they come in different thicknesses. They are used to take up the slack from wear spots on the caliper rail. They simply snap in place and friction holds them there.

But there is no shim, clip, or spring from the factory other than the one on the pad.

1708666d1416252429t-brake-pad-anti-rattle-clips-shims.jpg

Edit: I forgot that some disc brake set-ups use a spring clip to help stop the pads from rattling...
1001111126.jpg

CLIP. Brake Caliper. .

CLIP, Anti-Rattle, SPRING.
Stock Code J3239865 Manufacturer Chrysler Categories Brakes > CHEROKEE, BRIARWOOD, GRAND CHEROKEE, COMANCHE; Brakes > CHEROKEE, WAGONEER, COMANCHE; Brakes > CJ; Brakes > Front Brakes; Brakes > WRANGLER, YJ; Brakes > XJ, MJ

Last edited:
CLIP, Anti-Rattle, SPRING.
Part # J3239865

If the pads are not sliding properly on the caliper rail these probably won't help. They are just there to stop the pads from rattling when your foot is not on the brake.

If it's not too bad, smooth it out with a file and/or get some shims like in second picture above.

Back