• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick front bumper

SkinnyRidgeMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Getting a new XJ ready for recovery duty at work today. Need tow points on the front and the bumper was beat.

I removed stock parts except the bumper brackets. I used those to attach the tube to. Then I bent an upper tube to wrap around under the grill and a lower to meet up at the ends.

Plated the center.

Made a pair of shackle points.

Painted satin black.

And reinstalled stock bumper cover end caps.

Took me about 4 hours and used 50 bucks worth of metal. Nothing special but it works for what we will use it for.

Overall we have $680 in this Jeep. including purchase price.

I feel like if you filled in the gaps between the tube like you did the center section and then painted it the color of your jeep or as close as possible it would look nice. A little two tone bumper.

I feel like if you filled in the gaps between the tube like you did the center section and then painted it the color of your jeep or as close as possible it would look nice. A little two tone bumper.

It may look good. But I was trying to get it done today and not relocating the vacume reservoir and horns, plus removing/modifying inner fender saved a bunch of time. Plus I like the stock look on this rig.

Looks nice but it won't last much recovey using the factory mounts even bolted to the sheet metal "crossmember", you got the skills just make some better mounts that tie back.

Ill keep an eye on it but there is no way the 8 10mm bolts will shear. I have no doubt the mounting is more than adequate. The 10 other XJs only use the six factory bolts on the front bumpers and have been under constant abuse for years. Two of them have winches on them...

The bolts don't shear, they rip through the frame.

I have no doubt the mounting is more than adequate. ..

Good luck with that..........

standard.jpg

Seriously, heed the warnings you're seeing here. You don't want to end up maiming or killing someone because you thought it was good enough.

Wasting your time boys, all the other jeeps are perfect and never failed, this one is good to go... No one will ever get over zealous and yank to hard, or try something to big and get anyone hurt or rip the bumper off. Nope, never, hasn't happened before, all the aftermarket parts to beef them up are a scam....Is the sarcasm sufficient yet? Sorry to flame you bud, but eventually you are going to see a failure. I just hope it's not a bad one. You have plenty of skill to avoid it, and the bumper will look good doing it, you just need to not be stubborn about the reality of what this is.

Well thanks for the flames. As I said in post 5, I reinforced the mounts. The front two holes have 2" 3/16 angle iron welded to the frame and front cross member. So the front two bolts go through at least 1/4" of metal. Sorry I didn't include pics of reinforcement. I learned my lesson.

Im sorry but I think Skinny's got it.
If he can build a 6.0L powered mj on 42s and stay full body I trust he can make a bumper.

Also my bumper only mounts using 6 1/2" gr8 bolts. But I am stiffened .

Back