• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRS radios

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
Just out of curiousity how did the FRS radios work at this event.. Was there enough range for what they were intended for. I'm interested in these for our club functions because as we all know most CBs have issues.
Thanx Cardboard

My frs radio didn't work. I could hear people but not speak. Maybe that was on purpose now that I think of it! :D

Maybe you had the voice activation on and you were talking all the time while riding also.

I can't argue for range, but it seemed to worked except when the mentioned above was going on.

Only issue I had with it was mine had voice activation on for the first day. They got me all fixed up for the 2nd day. I loved using it, I've been waiting for an excuse to ditch my cb and I did just that when I got home.

They were nice for out-of-the-vehicle communication, i.e. spotting drivers and getting people lined up for trails. I am not going to complain much about them, mainly because the BOD was generous enough to provide them for members, but I do wish they were louder.

I am still keeping my CB as a backup though.

I too have mixed feelings. They worked but not as well as a properly tuned CB. I think some of them had issues. Sometimes I could hear the back of the pack just fine, and other times not so well. Sometimes the guy two jeeps ahead of me was crystal clear, and other times I couldn't hear him hardly at all. The portability of them is one thing I liked. Was awesome to jump out of the jeep and be able to take it out with you. Also keeping my CB for back up....

I think they worked excellent overall. I will agree a well-tuned CB is slightly better but for the portability aspect and not having to have an antenna drilled into your vehicle I loved them.

keep in mind that there are better radios out there than the ones we gave away. we ordered entry level radios because, well, we bought 100 of them.

my personal radios cost me $59 on ebay, they come as a set of two and have a charging stand.

I thought they worked very well.

keep in mind that there are better radios out there than the ones we gave away. we ordered entry level radios because, well, we bought 100 of them.

my personal radios cost me $59 on ebay, they come as a set of two and have a charging stand.

I thought they worked very well.

yea i figured i may get another one.

the way i look at it is, for bottom of the barrow CB prices, you can get a damn nice FRS.

I have an old GE mobile dash mount, looks like a CB but it's tuned to all the FRS frequency's and it puts out a LOT more power then the little portable units.

I have an antenna for it on the roof of the Cherokee and it really works better than a CB. Like Sam said, no CB clutter

I have an old GE mobile dash mount, looks like a CB but it's tuned to all the FRS frequency's and it puts out a LOT more power then the little portable units.

I have an antenna for it on the roof of the Cherokee and it really works better than a CB. Like Sam said, no CB clutter

I have a Radio Shack base FRS radio that I purchased many moons ago. I hadn't used it in years. It has a magnet mount antenna. I used it on Saturday. It works really well. I would then use the portable one when I got out of the Jeep to spot.

We used CBs during the pre-run on Thursday. We had to switch channels three or four times due to some powerhouse jerk that was over powering CB channels.

It was nice to have the CB off on Friday and Saturday.

mac 'my first handheld FRS cost me $100' gyvr

Maybe you had the voice activation on and you were talking all the time while riding also.

I can't argue for range, but it seemed to worked except when the mentioned above was going on.

I was using Jim's radio all day. I accidentally turned on voice activation.

I really liked them for out side the vehicles, I also like the clarity. More so because I'm one of the guys that has the cheap arse CB and magnetic antenna. I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue with better FRS but we had a rather large Orange group on Saturday and sometimes I couldn't hear people in the back if we got a little bit apart.

I will pick up a couple for sure. No big deal that mine wasn't working. I appreciate the free radio.

Having the radios provided was a good move. I have a set of motorolas that will talk a long time and a lot louder than the little ones that the BOD bought. But you can't switch to another radio and expect everyone to purchase them, so good move to get all of us moved over without too much complaining about how much they would cost.

I think after using those little ones for the weekend, people will gladly spend $50 on two of them that perform way better and we can make FRS the standard and not the option.

Can someone get me a link to or the model number of the radios that were given to members? Curious to see which radio we're talking about here.

Entry level midland and cobra radios.

mac 'not sure on model number' gyvr

Back