• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch delete thought

jgshields91

NAXJA Forum User
After having done some research on replacing the clutch fan for an e-fan and reading through ehall's write up on deleting the fan hub to make clearance for an e-fan I saw that this would pose a problem for me as I have a 00 and the closer bracket would cause problems with my coil rail. I did some more research and found where someone just took the factory bracket and cut it to delete the pulley but caused there to be a large reduction in belt contact to the compressor and alternator pulleys. All of this sounded like a good bit of work when I already am short on time as it is to tinker and experiment. Well today at the junkyard I had a thought and was wondering if anyone had any insight on swapping over the ZJ a/c bracket and alternator bracket while installing a new ZJ a/c compressor and 136 amp alternator which theoretically should provide the clearance necessary and allow for a ZJ serpentine belt to be ran. I did find one thread where ehall chimed in with some information on this which was that the larger compressor could potentially cause hood clearance problems and that it would be wise to experiment with this at the junkyard. Does anyone have any additional thoughts or information towards this?
Thanks
Jake

holy run on sentence.

..what was your actual question?

Not going to lie you lost me in there somewhere with that wall of text so I'll go off the title.

Took like 30 min to move my radiator 1.5" forward. I also changed the fan pulley studs to hex bolts. It clears my Taurus fan fine and they're thicker than many fan options.

20150307_200557_zpsuybdcdkb.jpg

sorry guys I'm bad about rambling. Question is can the a/c bracket and alternator bracket be taken off a zj and fit an xj with zj compressor and alternator and allow room for an e-fan. And ehall I did after reading another thread where you told them to look it up as well. I honestly wasn't able to gather much from that as to whether the coils were safe or not as it seemed the resistance values were different and that was a source of skepticism.

Albandit, how did you move your radiator forward 1.5"? I also thought about swapping the studs out for bolts. I did that once before on my old XJ when I put a zj fan clutch on it.

I'll do better about being clearer and not rambling!

ZJ AC compressor is different. Different bolt pattern and different lines. You'd need custom lines made to run the ZJ AC bracket / compressor.
What you can do, though, is run the ZJ alternator bracket & YJ AC bracket. If you google search a bit you'll come up with a great writeup on how to do that. I think it's on naxja but don't remember.
Running the ZJ / YJ brackets will get your alternator up higher & free up some space for the electric fan you will now *have to* run.
If you are going to go electric, don't F around. Go with a Taurus fan or similar. More CFM, better.
Plenty of people get by just fine on 2,000 CFM but I can tell you from experience - 2,000 CFM is OK for around town, light usage. On the trail, both fans are running almost all the time. Towing up a hill - forget it. Overheating. Most folks who go to electric fans eventually go back to a mechanical because nothing moves air like a clutch fan.

Yeah I believe that was the same write up I read and ehall wrote it. Since the fittings are different that's probably what I'm going to end up doing or moving my radiator 1.5" forward like Albandit did. I got a Taurus e-fan yesterday so that's not an issue.

And ehall I did after reading another thread where you told them to look it up as well. I honestly wasn't able to gather much from that as to whether the coils were safe or not as it seemed the resistance values were different and that was a source of skepticism.
The viper coil is 100% safe. I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

Talyn, I didn't go as deep into your thread as i should have. I see now that its definitely a wise mod. I'll be doing this in the future for sure. So I may end up doing ehall's bracket swap after all.

I didn't cut the pulley off when I did mine.

I made this, smaller Ford Taurus fan mounted in the factory mechanical fan shroud. I can't take full credit as this was another member's idea. But I went my own way with wiring it and autonomous activation.
IMG_5051_zpsatqedjza.jpg

Here I had a really tight fit with the old all aluminum 3 row radiator. It was junk so I ditched it and gained nearly 3/4" of space back for it all to fit when I got my CSF 3 row radiator.
IMG_4994_zpshslgdwf0.jpg

pay attention to grill clearance if you nove the rad.

I moved my radiator forward 1.5" and have a 2" cooler in front of it, still clear of grill..

With or without the AC condenser?

I moved my rad forward about inch or so. Still had the condenser when I did it. Not there anymore since ac did not work anyway

nobody said anything about ac ;)

Yes, I know. That is why I asked.

I moved my rad forward about inch or so. Still had the condenser when I did it. Not there anymore since ac did not work anyway

Good to know that. Just curious. I do not think I would be moving mine though. One never know about the future.

Back