• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ swap weatherstrip question

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
I am swapping all the body parts from a 97 xj over to my 91 Comanche this weekend.I tried searching probably used the wrong key words,but could not find a definitive answer on if you swap to the newer doors do you use your existing weatherstrip or is the newer stuff an upgade?

The existing weatherstrip leaks air at highway speed but don't want to be chasing my tail if it won't work.

the newer stuff is an upgrade but I've heard can make the doors tough to close when swapping them to the older Jeeps.

the newer stuff is an upgrade but I've heard can make the doors tough to close when swapping them to the older Jeeps.
I believe as long as you're swapping to the newer doors as well this is the preferred method. It's only when trying to use the new weatherstrip with older doors that people seem to have that problem.

If you are talking about the "door seals" the 97-up seals are thicker and better than 96-down. Swap them, especially if yours are ripped/torn, etc.
The "issue" about hard to close doors is for the rear doors of the XJ. I never noticed it to be any more difficult to close my front doors on my XJ when I swapped 97-up seals.

I need to find some newer-upgraded door seals for my MJ. the front seals are plug n pray.

Back