• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help properly re-doing my rear 4.5 lift

erykv1

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA,

I bought a cherokee not too long ago, not knowing 100% about lifts. I was told it had a 4.5" rough country lift kit on it. The front checks out, but the rear of my XJ looks like this:

mE2eYmR.jpg

From what I can tell, its a spacer, stock leaf springs(?) and some sort of a shackle relocation bracket.

Currently I don't have any issues with it, but I would like to do a proper full leaf setup before it sags over time. After some rough searching I have found two alternatives:

• Rustys 4.5" Leaf Springs
  • Rubicon Express 3.5" Leaf Springs (they lift higher than advertised?)

I'm open for any suggestions. I'm just afraid of buying rear leaf's and it lifting higher than the front giving a weird raked look. Would I keep that shackle relocation bracket or remove it?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

from what I've read, the 3.5" RE leafs actually lift 4.5" (or more) but I am not sure how they will sit w/ the shackle drop I have (as ehall mentioned)

Have a telephone conversation with Dirk at DPG Off Road (you can find them on the web or a search on this site). There are several questions to address, e.g.; how high, SYE?, degree wedges? length of brake lines, front springs, bump stops, what size tires? If you change tire size, what about gearing?, etc.

The issues and new parts is almost endless, and you need to make a plan of use, tire size and lift height; these are the core of the plan and every thing else will evolve around those decisions. If you change one thing, you will most likely change many.

You are already modified, and you need a complete list of existing modifications and modifications that need replacement.

Also a search for this site of lifts, lift height, OME and RE would be valuable to you.

Have a telephone conversation with Dirk at DPG Off Road (you can find them on the web or a search on this site). There are several questions to address, e.g.; how high, SYE?, degree wedges? length of brake lines, front springs, bump stops, what size tires? If you change tire size, what about gearing?, etc.

The issues and new parts is almost endless, and you need to make a plan of use, tire size and lift height; these are the core of the plan and every thing else will evolve around those decisions. If you change one thing, you will most likely change many.

You are already modified, and you need a complete list of existing modifications and modifications that need replacement.

Also a search for this site of lifts, lift height, OME and RE would be valuable to you.

there is currently no SYE but a transfercase drop, that is next on the list of things to do / replace. I want to fix the lift first because I believe the CV length will change depending on the rear lift (distance from the transferacse to the center of the u-joint cap on the diff yoke).

thanks for the reply.

there is currently no SYE but a transfercase drop, that is next on the list of things to do / replace. I want to fix the lift first because I believe the CV length will change depending on the rear lift (distance from the transferacse to the center of the u-joint cap on the diff yoke).

thanks for the reply.

If the driveshaft angle changes, it will not likely be in your favor.

It might be good to look at the overall picture as far as what lift components are actually on the Jeep. It could be more in your favor just to replace the whole lift. I would start there. Lets talk about what is actually on the rig (front to back) and what you are looking for out of your lift.

OME HD leafs, HDOR bolt in shackle relocator brackets and maybe current shackle. Pending what you need/want lift wise.

My experience...

1997 Country, Old Man Emu CS033RB rear springs provided 4 inches of lift. A year later the center of wheel to fender measures 21 and 1/2 inches. The ride is firm, and it drives great fully loaded. Empty is also rides great, controlled, and on the firm side, not at all harsh. This is with the Old Man Emu Sport long shocks.

I am pleased with it. A great balance between handling - load capacity - comfort. This set up may not flex as much as a softer spring. I have not done any RTI measures.

Rear brake line extension is needed. Also, longer bump stops may be needed depending on tire size and fenders (pre-post 97 - mods ect).

Back