• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JY XJ lift

kenmando

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone heard of this? Got it off an old thread, but can't find any recent info on it.."grab the coil springs from a dodge ram 3500 with a cummins turbo diesel in it, also grab the leaf springs too. grab the shocks as well.. they'll bolt up perfectly. and will give you the lift and ride you desire for the ultimate off road xj".

Looking to go from a 3" to a 4.5" lift.

:doh:

I don't think anything off of a diesel dodge will work. There are already a ton of junkyard lift components that have been tried and proven. Start there. I'd venture a guess to say that the spring rate of a 3500 dodge is like 2.5 times that of a jeep suspension.

Nah bro, it' "give you the lift and ride you desire for the ultimate off road xj"

Source please....because that person needs to be laughed off the internet.

It would be a safer and better investment if you would just buy a good brand of lift kit. Keep in mind that what is important is the warranty and certification of safety.

I have never even seen a Dodge Cummins turbo diesel in the local junkyards. I own one, but the only JY parts I can come up with for it are body parts off 1500 gas truck.

I do suppose there may be some potential donor vehicles out there as folks pull the Cummins to swap into F350s, but there is no abundance of them around here.

The spring rates are certainly going to be stiff. That is one heavy motor.

I have never even seen a Dodge Cummins turbo diesel in the local junkyards. I own one, but the only JY parts I can come up with for it are body parts off 1500 gas truck.

I do suppose there may be some potential donor vehicles out there as folks pull the Cummins to swap into F350s, but there is no abundance of them around here.

The spring rates are certainly going to be stiff. That is one heavy motor.

I would agree with you or if you can source a coilover or lift kit that would be better.

JY Lift? T Bird coils and Bastard pack. Use F250 rear sway bar links as quick disconnects and toss in some TJ brake hoses with front hard line tab relocation. Add some 1961 F-100 front shocks (Monroe sensitrak) for 12" travel and you will max out a short arm for articulation with about 4" of lift. Search on the above. Dirt cheap and effective build. Ran it for 10 years. For the ULTIMATE XJ, just raise the rear shock mounts so they are level with the bottom of the axle and your good to go.

John

Can you get good downtravel with short arms?

I'm kind of at a stand still right now. Want to go to (metric) 32s, but stay with short arms - aftermarket adjustable - and 3.5'' of lift. Want to build for downtravel. SRBs for the rear are exactly what I want but not sure if the front can have downtravel on short arms.

That depends what you mean by downtravel. With just shortarms, you can max out an 8 or 10 inch shock with no problem.

Add drop brackets to those shortarms and you get a better ride and can max out a 12" shock.

Back