• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever put a GM 12 bolt in an XJ?

95silverstallion

NAXJA Forum User
Only asking cuz I have one sitting in the backyard. Its from a 1966 Impala, which is a 4 link style coil spring car. I would have to cut off all the brackets and weld on perches but I figured if its useable what the heck.

Thanks, Brian

If you heep is a non-ABS model, then you already have a C8.25. It is a stout axle, doesn't necessarily need to be swapped out. Disc brake conversion can be done for a decent price. maybe some chromo axles and a lockerand drive it like you stole it.

But, probably be best off selling your 12-bolt.

Ya . I just looked out the back window and seen the housing sitting there and thought "I wonder..."

Mines a 98 Sport. Im pretty sure its a 8.25.

If you heep is a non-ABS model, then you already have a C8.25. It is a stout axle, doesn't necessarily need to be swapped out. Disc brake conversion can be done for a decent price. maybe some chromo axles and a lockerand drive it like you stole it.

But, probably be best off selling your 12-bolt.

you can have a non ABS dana 35.

I've worked on a few non abs d35 00-01 XJs. They are out there

and i don't see the OP's jeep year in the original post

Last edited:

and i don't see the OP's jeep year in the post
Its a 98 Sport. I just got it back. Second time owning it. Sold it to a buddy last summer. Bought it back last week so I need to re-familiarize myself with it.

Just an FYI so you don't think im a total dummy and blindly bought a 12bolt. I used to have a 66 Impala and had a lot of spare parts. The 12 bolt is still laying around.

Last edited:

and i don't see the OP's jeep year in the original post

only if they were swapped in as insurance/damage repairs. this comes up from time to time, and every time if you pull the build sheet it shows 8.25.

the 12 bolt is a good axle, I looked into getting one to replace my 10 bolt, they command a suprising amount of $$$

that being said, I would probably sell it and build an 8.8

A 12 bolt is going to be more valuable to somebody else than an Explorer 8.8 would be to anyone on Earth.
Keep your 8.25 or swap to an 8.8. but sell the 12 bolt - you'll be bucks ahead.

Back