• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission getting thrown around?

WarGin

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
On my 84 2.5L, AX5-NP207, 5" lift
I tried to run a pretty steep incline with 1.5' of snow, lost momentum and all of the sudden the whole jeep was shaking violently, like very badly. Let off the gas, it stopped then gunned it again, and the same thing happened when I lost traction; when the tires cut loose.
The gearshift was being thrown all over the console(but didn't come out of gear) and the whole jeep shakes like nothing else.

Could this be a bad transmission mount by itself or also a unjoint problem? Or worse?
The stock tranny mount was replaced in 2011, and checking it a few weeks ago it appeared quite destroyed. Has anyone tried replacing the stock tranny mount with something a little more solid? Like a leaf spring bushing or 2 in a fabbed bracket? Considering the stock mount lasted 27 years, and the new one lasted barely 3... I'd like to beef it up. If possible.

I'm going to replace the propshaft U joints anyways, just wondering if it could possibly be a sign of something worse to come.

Check the motor mounts too, all three mounts, engine and trans have to work together

Crap, didn't even think of that.
Thanks, Ill get on those. Is there a poly insert for the stock mounts to strengthen them at all, or am I stuck ordering the pricier stuff if I'm interested in durability...
Ride and vibrations don't worry me as this rig is trail only, I'd just like more then 3 years use if I'm doing all the work in the engine bay.
I'm also not opposed to rigging something up, bolt on doesn't need to be required. I'm just looking for the most durable option that will keep everything stiff but not enough to damage driveline components...

Last edited:
I believe Daystar or Energy suspension makes an insert for the stock crap engine mounts. Maybe prothane does? I know they make a trans mount.

Motor mounts should be as stiff or stiffer than trans mount to prevent cracking the bell housing.

Go Brown Dog or Ironman4x4 for the motor mounts and never worry about them again.

I think synergy makes a poly trans mount, or you could fab something up. I have a generic poly bushing for a trans mount that I made to go along with the raised crossmember and flat belly.

Guess I can't get out cheap on this one.
I'll spring for good motor mounts, and fab something up for the transmission/transfer case.
Speaking of, what is the difference between securing the transmission versus the transfer case?
I've seen both, I'm not opposed to having to build a new crossmember if the structural gains to the driveline and chassis are worth it.

Guess I can't get out cheap on this one.
I'll spring for good motor mounts, and fab something up for the transmission/transfer case.
Speaking of, what is the difference between securing the transmission versus the transfer case?
I've seen both, I'm not opposed to having to build a new crossmember if the structural gains to the driveline and chassis are worth it.

Same mount for both. It's the adapter housing I posted of earlier.

The only way you're gonna find what you're looking for is to GO LOOK!

Around the Jeep that is. In these parts, we call it "noggin pokin".

That's where you use your God given senses to inspect YOUR Jeep for problems. We can only provide you with guidance as to where to poke your noggin.

There's no Silver Bullet cure you're gonna find from a keyboard, mouse and monitor.

All the mounts are definitely toasted.
I was able to push the tranny off the mount, the metal plate is completely separated from the rubber. Motor mounts are almost on metal.
@ cruiser54,
The tranny mount is currently under the ax5, and was wondering if moving the crossmember back 10" and supporting the transfer case instead would be benificial, or not.
Sorry for the miscommunication.

All the mounts are definitely toasted.
I was able to push the tranny off the mount, the metal plate is completely separated from the rubber. Motor mounts are almost on metal.
@ cruiser54,
The tranny mount is currently under the ax5, and was wondering if moving the crossmember back 10" and supporting the transfer case instead would be benificial, or not.
Sorry for the miscommunication.

Just get it back the way it's supposed to be and run with it.

This belongs in oem tech, titled "HELP ME my motor and trans mounts are bad!!!"

The oems lasted 17 years, but these only 2-3? Sounds like a supply issue, not a design issue.

This belongs in oem tech, titled "HELP ME my motor and trans mounts are bad!!!"

I think I've been asking question relevant to modified tech. I asked if anyone has fabricated motor or transmission mounts here. Like I said I've seen them made with leaf spring bushings, but was wondering about the durability of such an option compared to OEM or aftermarket mounts. Settled with going brown dog, as IronmanAndy does not offer a 2.5 litre motor mount, although they are quite pricy for what it's going into and I'm still hesitant.

I also asked if moving the crossmember back and supporting the transfer case would be worth the trouble as opposed to supporting the AX5. The one answer I got to that was 'not worth it'

So I don't see how this has anything to do with OEM tech.
But, thanks for your input.

Back