• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning paint off sparkplug threads.

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I may not of masked my block very well when I painted it. A couple spark plug ports got painted. I bought a "thread chaser" but that thing is like throwing a hot dog down a hall way. I was able to screw it all the way in with my fingers and barely chip any paint away.
Anyone have suggestions?

I'm going to try a different brand chaser tomorrow.

Run a old plug into the hole to clean the threads.

I would not worry about it. Just smear a light coat of grease on your spark plug threads, and install. The often recommendation is to use grease in order to obtain a carbon=char so as to provide a better seal. I do not see much difference as the paint, and/or grease will char and provide the best sealing you would ever long for.

Paint will prevent a good ground? NGK says don't use anything on the threads.

If the threads engage then you'll have contact

If you really want to clean the threads you could put some paint stripper in the holes, or get a small wire brush on a drill (like a wire brush for a Dremel), but at some point you are going to exceed a risk threshold for dropping crap in the combustion chambers.

I think I'll try some stripper should keep the chamber safe.

It's M14 something.

Whaddya know, you're right. 14mm spark plugs are M14x1.25. The cheapest one on Amazon is even Prime eligible.

Double sided one won't work with our head.

Back