• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will Duratrac 255/75/17 tire fit?

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a 4" OME hybrid kit. From the center of the hub to the bottom of the factory fender flare is 20 3/4" on the front and 20 and 1/4" on the rear. I'm wanting to put on 32" tires. The tires will be mounted on these rims:

Manufacturer: Chrysler/Dodge
Rim Size: 17" X 7"
Bolt Pattern: 5X114.3
Backspacing: I believe it's a 20mm offset (somewhere between 4" - 4.5" inches of backspacing)

DSC06470_zpsb7de4907.jpg

DSC06473_zpsf36a5104.jpg

I'm going to be doing the same thing! I was looking at Cragar Silver Soft 8 rims (5 x 4.5), or JK wheels with adapters. I think I like your idea, depending on the cost of the wheels.

What application do those 17" wheels with our bolt pattern come off of, or from?

I'm going to guess that there must be 3 compression studs in the back of the hub cap that hold themselves in the three holes by friction? My stock wheels are the old 10-spoke, so those caps are after my generation of XJ. I liked what I saw in the link you posted. They do seem to be a metric 5x115mm pattern, which is less than 1/32 off, which would be shy of 1/64 at each stud. If correct, the 4.5" backspacing looks very doable.

Currently, I have 34" TSLs on stock wheels. With 6 inches of lift, they fit but rub as follows:
1. The rear rubs on the back bottom edge of the wheel well sheet metal when the leaf compresses and the shackle moves the axle rearward.
2. The front rubs on the front of the wheel well sheet metal when the coils compress.
3. The front rubs on the sway bar when the steering is turned to full lock without adjusting the stops from their original settings.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess that there must be 3 compression studs in the back of the hub cap that hold themselves in the three holes by friction?

That's what I'm guessing.

They do seem to be a metric 5x115mm pattern, which is less than 1/32 off, which would be shy of 1/64 at each stud. If correct, the 4.5" backspacing looks very doable.

Some sites list them as 5x115mm and others list them as 5x4.5. There have been a few Jeepers who've put tens of thousands of miles on these rims with no problems. I feel pretty comfortable going this route.

I think the Duratrac 255/75/17 (32" tire) will work, but I would feel more comfortable knowing that someone with a similar setup as mine could verify.

That's what I'm running. They're mounted on stock jk rubis with a 1.25" wheel spacer. Not sure what the jk back spacing is but I'm guessing around 5 minus the 1.25. But they fit well on my rig with about 4.5in of lift. They don't rub at full lock or full stuff.

I'm going to guess that there must be 3 compression studs in the back of the hub cap that hold themselves in the three holes by friction?

I found this picture on the backside of a center cap. You can see the 3 "nuts".

_57_zpsudhdkmw6.jpg

Where did you source your rims?

I purchased 5 new rims from various sources found on ebay and elsewhere on the web. I was shopping for the lowest prices. It took me 4 months to collect all 5.

I dropped off the rims at a body shop for paint. I need to order tires, but I'm a little hesitant going with the 255/75/17. Maybe I should be conservative and go for 245/70/17. After all, I'm on stock gearing.

I was running 255/75/17s on stock gearing for several months before I geared. I actually drove 2,300 miles from Utah to the east coast on them, Not bad at all. 255/75/17s will fit in the wheel well too. I'd say go for the larger tire, a smaller tire would look weird on a 17" wheel. I dont have any pictures I can load up to show you, but if you want I can go out and take some in the morning.

Here's a picture of the stock rims. You can see the holes that the Cherokee caps mount to. From my understanding, the caps are screwed to the hub. Does this make sense to anyone? Since the factory Cherokee wheels have dimples for the screws and the 17" steels wheels obviously do not, I will need to use a pan head screw, otherwise I run the risk of the wheel not mounting to the hub properly.

jeep-cherokee-wheels-9008-b_zpstjume9vy.jpg

I was running 255/75/17s on stock gearing for several months before I geared. I actually drove 2,300 miles from Utah to the east coast on them, Not bad at all. 255/75/17s will fit in the wheel well too. I'd say go for the larger tire, a smaller tire would look weird on a 17" wheel. I dont have any pictures I can load up to show you, but if you want I can go out and take some in the morning.

Remember, these wheels have 4.5" of backpacking. Do you still think they will fit with no rubbing?

Stock XJ wheels are 4.5BS, no? I have 31x10.5 MTR-k's on ZJ Canyon wheels which are the same BS as I recall. When I was running short arms they rubbed slightly on the LCA. No rub on my mid arms. 265 is about 10.5 wide, so the 255 should be fine. I plan on running 265/70R17 as they seem to be the best price for AT tires I want.
I can get the REVO/2 for around 150$/tire.

Well I'm running 16 inch rims from the jeep liberty on my 94 no lift...yet with 2 inch wheel spacers and 255 75 16 with no rub on full lock. I still have stock fender flares. I only cut out my front fender just below the grill and got rid of the fender supports it did rub on those

Remember, these wheels have 4.5" of backpacking. Do you still think they will fit with no rubbing?

I have is 5" of back spacing, so yours will stick out a half inch more than mine. I can't see that being an issue. The only reason I could see you rubbing is if your front axle isn't centered in the wheel well, then you might contact the bottom corner under a turn and some compression. Other than that I can't see it being an issue.

Back