• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanting to do some maintenance on cooling system

98Redbird

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a 2001 Cherokee Sport a few months ago, and my wife and I were going to use it this spring as we storm chase and travel in the spring/summer.

I am in the process of doing plugs/changing fluids, but have read that one of the best things that can be done is to update/overhaul the cooling system. (I use update/overhaul very loosly as I know that it's not really updating anything rather than just replacing/flushing/cleaning/etc).

But I was wanting to know what specifically you folks recommend me replace? I am new to the cherokees and the 4.0's which is why I'm asking. We will be driving a lot of miles and the temps outside could easily be in the 90's, so I want to make sure that the cooling system is healthy and up to the task.

The Jeep currently has 73,000 miles on it, so it's lower mileage still, but it's still 14 years old.

I have my degree in automotive and worked at a dealership for several years, so the mechaincal side doesn't bother me, it's just about learning to become familiar with a new car, which is why I'm asking you folks :)

I'm aware of the head issue, and will be monitoring the coolant level every time I get gas, but I'm probably not going to pull the head off to update if it's still holding and not leaking. If it begins to have an issue, then I'll replace, but until then, I'll probably pass.

Also, one thing to note, temps generally are a tick under 210 for me here in central IL, it's cold outside right now. The heat usually takes a bit to come up to temp and doesn't blow incredibly warm. Not sure if that's a jeep thing, or if I may have some plugging going on in the heater core.

Thanks so much for the advice!

At 14 years of age it probably needs a complete cooling system overhaul. Chemical flush, new radiator, radiator cap, hoses, water pump, thermostat, fan clutch.

195 degree Thermostat
Thermostat housing
Coolant temp switch
Water pump
Upper radiator hose
Lower radiator hose
Both heater hoses
Oem Radiator
Oem radiator cap
ZJ fan clutch
Coolant flush
New serpantine belt

That would be a great overhaul. With the fan clutch being the only "upgrade". Im currently doing the same thing on my 00, all i have left to do is a radiator. My XJ will be in Arizona driven daily, and on trails pretty often. It gets to be 120 degrees there.

Or you can spend more and buy a "performance" water pump, silicone hoses, and an aluminum radiator with electric fans to yield the same results in a vehicle you will just drive around chasing storms.

Also, one thing to note, temps generally are a tick under 210 for me here in central IL, it's cold outside right now. The heat usually takes a bit to come up to temp and doesn't blow incredibly warm. Not sure if that's a jeep thing, or if I may have some plugging going on in the heater core.
It is likely you have some plugging of the heater core. Also, XJs seem to come up to operating temp pretty quick, even in sub-zero temps.

Great, thanks guys.

Yeah, I have noticed that it comes up to temp very quickly. It's just a lack of heat for a while in the drivers compartment.

With the ZJ fan clutch, is this a plug and play type of deal? What's the benefit?

Also, how's the AC system on the XJ's? Are they generally pretty good or is it worthwhile to go through that system as well?

Thanks!

The Zj fan clutch engages sooner, and is a bolt on. From what ive read it lowers running temp fairly well.

The AC works. Its just not that good on the hot days. Its hard to keep a truck cool that is a like a fishbowl with all the glass allowing the sun to touch everything inside.

I tinted my windows 20%. That helps.

Back