• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Gasket for Manifold Swap??

Blk Cherry 92

NAXJA Forum User
Just purchased a header from APN for my 92 w/ 4.0.
My question is, should I use the gasket that came with the header, or should I buy something different? If different, which one should I get?
Also looking for any tips that might make this endeavor go smoothly.

when i did mine, the included gasket looked pretty cheesy. you figure they probably put the cheapest thing they can find in there, to save money.
i threw it away and used a victor reinz gasket from carquest, had no problems at all.

I went with FelPro, for the same reasons.

If you look around, there are a couple of really detailed threads on here regarding the swap. The only special tool I didn't have already was a 9/16" socket with a uni joint built in, and the one thing I didn't read, that I would do differently, is skip the bolts, and press studs into either flange, because I had a hell of a time getting downpipe lined up, and the bolts in. The latter is optional, but enough of a pain that I got the hardware in case I ever take it apart again.

having worked at the dealer, i can say with certainty that their 4.0 int/ex gasket is nothing special. it's better than the apn, for sure.....but i'd still pick up a good aftermarket piece.
that banks gasket looks like a nice one.

I went with FelPro, for the same reasons.

If you look around, there are a couple of really detailed threads on here regarding the swap. The only special tool I didn't have already was a 9/16" socket with a uni joint built in, and the one thing I didn't read, that I would do differently, is skip the bolts, and press studs into either flange, because I had a hell of a time getting downpipe lined up, and the bolts in. The latter is optional, but enough of a pain that I got the hardware in case I ever take it apart again.

Thanks guys, went with the Banks from ebay. Do you have a part # for the studs or the name of the place that you purchased them at?

Last edited:
They're buried in one of my parts bins, but I probably bought them from RockAuto. Googled Jeep exhaust studs, found some Dorman stuff that looks about right. Maybe 03127?

Back