• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky injector vs worn check valve

UncleLimpy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just picked up a 1995 XJ with the 4.0L and AX-15. I bought it knowing that "it will always start, but if it's not cold outside and the engine isn't cold, it won't start right away."

This translates to long crank times.

Now I've done some research and it all points to either a leaky injector or a worn check valve. My question is: how can I tell the difference? From all the threads I've read here and on other Jeep forums, it seems like the people that best describe my exact symptoms have fixed it with injectors, but honestly it seems to swing both ways.

If I prime it before starting it works. It'll start a few seconds after shutting it off. Still could be either, right?

The question is: How can I test it to find out which of the two it is?

Thanks guys. I know you're probably sick of seeing "why does it take so long to crank" threads, but I've yet to see one that accurately separates the two by symptom.

Jeep tax:

qFHcCY.jpg

Back