• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weld through primer and stiffeners

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
So after stripping any spraying down my subframe and stiffeners with weld through primer I read how it works....

Seems to me I should repaint the frame and inside of the rail with regular priemer and paint masking about an inch of the weld areas. Then spray the weld edges with weld through. My last jeep I just coated the stiffener and body with weld through burned them in and painted.

I am not sure if everything got hot enough to melt the zinc everywhere, leaving some metal unprotected.

Thoughts on the proper application of weld through primer? How far past an edge needs it? I imagine within the discolored super hot area of a weld, one or two inches?

subscribing. I'm interested to see what people say too.

Haven't worked with that, but welding through galvanized doesn't sound fun. Is it different because its primer?

I have used sem copperweld I found at a local autobody supply.

Spray on undercoating does a swell job of sealing it all up after welding. I know this isn't your question but I've had no rust issues after 2 rainy seasons and lots of mud holes. I prefer the bondo brand undercoating.

Back