• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve noise and no oil on rocker

DaKing

NAXJA Forum User
I just had my engine rebuilt. started it for the first time recently.

There is some valve noise, in sync with RPM's.

Also noticed no oil on one rocker. I poured some oil on that rocker, and some of the noise went away, but the majority did not. seems like the noise is coming from cyl 5 or 6.

Oil pressure seems fine, over 40

here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0zffx7n0Hs

Faulty lifter, weak oil pump?

bent push rods. Most every one is bent. Cyl1 is very badly bent....

Brand new stroker motor, 0 miles, less then 20 min run time.

I bought the whole thing from one vendor.

Pistons
Crank
Rods
Valves (big valve)
lifters
Push rods
springs
CAM
Timing set

The only thing I supplied was the head and block.

But I was thinking the same thing.

I'm thinking maybe a head gasket leak. I filled the cooling system weeks before starting the engine (maybe months). I noticed the coolant was low. went into cylinders.. But I cant think it leaked into all of them.. yet most all the push rods are bent.

Maybe it flooded with gas, the first time I tried to start it. Cranked for awhile. dist was clocked 180 off. there was some back fire when trying to start.

Did you check pushrod preload?
1/4 to 3/4 turns is good.

After that check the timing marks on your cam and crank gears.

The last but least likely is the valve guide grabbed the valve.

clogged push rod or bad lifter.

I installed a long-block Slant-6 a long time ago, and had a similar problem; it turned out to be a rocker arm shaft that was installed upside-down, cutting off oil flow to parts of the valvetrain. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as the cause here.

I installed a long-block Slant-6 a long time ago, and had a similar problem; it turned out to be a rocker arm shaft that was installed upside-down, cutting off oil flow to parts of the valvetrain. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as the cause here.

You can make that mistake on a Chrysler but not on a 4.0 Jeep.

Just replaced my cracked head and got a misfire in 5, had almost identical symptoms, but damn . . . guess I got lucky. In my case it was just ONE bad lifter. everything else was fine.

I spent the weekend being ticked off about having to pull it all apart again just to switch out one stupid lifter.

I'm sorry for your situation here, but I gotta say thanks for making me feel better about mine.

Back