• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E- brake cable for ZJ discs on XJ

tcpoland

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am trying to find out what e brake cables will be a direct fit for a 98 XJ 8.25 with ZJ discs. All i have found so far are ways of modifying one existing cable or another. It seems like something I would have thought had been discussed quite a bit, but I have tried searching and I haven't found the solution. I have a 98 4.0 with 4 inches of lift and the 8.25 rear axle. Thanks anyone who can help.

Ford Explorer parking brake cables are the right length and need no modifications.

NAPA part numbers
Pass side - UP 95064
Driver side - UP 95427

KJ Liberty cables are longer and have the right fittings.

Ford Explorer parking brake cables are the right length and need no modifications.

NAPA part numbers
Pass side - UP 95064
Driver side - UP 95427

KJ Liberty cables are longer and have the right fittings.

Just to make life a little simpler, do you know what year(s).
Thanks

Any year KJ will work.

I just used the stock cables.
The only modification was to bend the feral at the end 90 degrees. Pull back the spring, put the cable in the slot, and release the spring.

To "lengthen" your existing cables, I moved the connector block on the drivers side rearward by a block length or so. I used the rear bolt as the new front, and drilled a new hole for the rear.

NAPA part numbers
Pass side - UP 95064
Driver side - UP 95427

Those fit with no modifications? They sure dont look like the parking brake end would be the right fitting but obviously its tough to see in the napa picture. As long as the extended length is correct then they oughta be good to go

Man it would really be great to have one final definitive answer as to which cables work as a direct install

Man it would really be great to have one final definitive answer as to which cables work as a direct install

You have a 98, you should be thankful. Seems like there are a lot of cables that fit the 97+ style. Theres basically no info on 96 down aside from the "correct" ones from rough trail AKA crown which have terrible feedback from what ive found

You have a 98, you should be thankful. Seems like there are a lot of cables that fit the 97+ style. Theres basically no info on 96 down aside from the "correct" ones from rough trail AKA crown which have terrible feedback from what ive found

What can I say, I like to keep things as clean as possible. I read many of the write ups for doing the disc swap... Unfortunately it seems to get iffy when it comes to the park cables.

These are the ones I plan on ordering shortly, price seems good but I can't speak for their quality.

this one is the drivers side $25.99
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rough-trail-disc-brake-cable-34-25-dbc-07.html

passenger side $27.99
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rough-trail-disc-brake-cable-70-5-dbc-06.html

That's a heck of a lot better deal than the first one's linked. How can they show up as different lengths when the length is posted in the part name?

Can anyone confirm that the ZJ and KJ's use the same lever arrangement and interfaces?

What can I say, I like to keep things as clean as possible. I read many of the write ups for doing the disc swap... Unfortunately it seems to get iffy when it comes to the park cables.

I do not remember if the ZJ cables are equal length, like the early model XJ. But I know for sure that the driver side matching ZJ cables is plug n pray with the disc setup and XJ.

Back