• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj tank in the bed problems

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
I just put an xj tank in the bed of my truck, and its reading way high. Nearly empty in the xj reads just over a half a tank on my mj. Could it be that the tank is angled too far forwards or backwards? Has anyone else had any issues like this?

The senders in the MJ's and XJ's are different as well as the fuel gauges are different. for a MJ empty is 0 ohms and full is 80 phms. on an XJ empty is 105 ohms and full is 5 ohms. they are backwards and about 20% off. the only way o fix it is to either pull out the sender and switch the wire on the potentiometer in which case it will read in the correct direction but still be 20% off. otherwise you can find a XJ fuel gauge and swap into your cluster. that will rectify the issue completely without having to switch the wire on the pot. much discussion on this over on comanche club..

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=active&q=fuel gauge off site:comancheclub.com

Tank is the same for those years listed. But renix and ho senders read opposite.

got it, swapped senders with my my spare HO one. and everything works now. i'm going to ohm out the renix, HO and MJ potentiometers and get readings on all of those for future reference here.

Glad you got it worked out, and additional info is always a help. TIA, for that as well.

Back