• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link short arm?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I know the UCA axle side bolt is a weak link and why people would rather keep all four links but what if I upgraded the bolt size? I'm at 3.5 and I'm planning on sticking with short arms for a long time while slowly gathering for a proper mid arm lift. I've also learned that a four link, unless triangulated, will have bind, but a 3 link will have less bind as one arm is removed. So I'm thinking that the best way to get the most out of my short arm lift is to do a 3 link, I have R.E. Super flex 3.5" lower lift arms, and figure if I got a beefy UCA with a larger bolt and find a upper axle bushing with a larger I.D.
In theory long arm 3 links do this so a short arm should too right?

Problem is your factory control arm mounts were not designed for the added stress of the missing upper, it will work for a while but eventually you will probably rip off a LCA frame mount.

I also dont think you will gain much for flex, you will still be limited by shock length and your control arms will still be near maxed out on down travel due to the short arms.

I wouldn't be too worried about the extra bind of the 4 link, you have seen what my MJ could do with all 4 arms hooked up when it was on short arms.

I say run what you have, save up and do it right.

If you want flex with short arms the. Drop brackets are the way to go. The ride is like stock on the road. And will easily out flex 12" shocks. And this is with all four links. I am also at about 3.5". RE dbs with brace and arms and trackbar and coils.
cfa63b7618bf7111209d3d6303abed6e.jpg

If you want flex with short arms the. Drop brackets are the way to go. The ride is like stock on the road. And will easily out flex 12" shocks. And this is with all four links. I am also at about 3.5". RE dbs with brace and arms and trackbar and coils.
cfa63b7618bf7111209d3d6303abed6e.jpg

Impressive :cheers:

Back