• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Today was a good day-brush on wire insulation

fishinpolejoe

NAXJA Forum User
I went by the shop today for an oil change. They topped off my fluids, changed my oil, checked my tires, found a nail in one and plugged it for free. While the mechanic was removing my oil filter, he bumped the starter wire and quickly figured out it had a bare spot. I took a look at everything underneath. Drivetrain, U bolts, suspension etc. all seem solid as a rock.

I was pretty happy that I couldn't find anything that was obviously worn underneath. I felt pretty lucky that they found the nail in my tire and the bare starter wire. Finding problems before they shut you down is a great thing.

To top it all off, I broke down and bought a pair of Sony Explode 4-way speakers, 35 watts RMS, 220 watts peak each. Not bad for less than $35. I brought them home and what do ya know, they fit! No drilling new holes or cutting the door panel because they stick out too far. They also sound great being hooked up to just a cheap Pioneer head unit with no amp. Much better than the stock speakers. Now I have to replace the worn out Polks in the back. They sound wretched in comparison.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone has used the brush on wire insulation and if you guys would recommend it. My dad told me he had some I could use on my starter wire.

I plan to use some degreaser, or maybe carb cleaner to clean up the wire, apply some of the brush on insulation, and cover that with electrical tape once it dries.

I have used it. It has its place.

Plan on needing more than one coat to get any useful thickness. Might need 30 minutes between coats. Maybe more if temps are cold and air is damp.

I would also be concerned with how the wire became bare in the first place. Insulation doesn't just run off all on its own. Was this an instance of a one-time damage or is there something that moves and chafes it? Figure out if something needs to be secured.

You might also consider an additional layer of protection over the cable. The convoluted plastic loom/split tubing that is common on most modern cars is a good thing.

I have used it. It has its place.

Plan on needing more than one coat to get any useful thickness. Might need 30 minutes between coats. Maybe more if temps are cold and air is damp.

I would also be concerned with how the wire became bare in the first place. Insulation doesn't just run off all on its own. Was this an instance of a one-time damage or is there something that moves and chafes it? Figure out if something needs to be secured.

You might also consider an additional layer of protection over the cable. The convoluted plastic loom/split tubing that is common on most modern cars is a good thing.

Thanks for the tips!

My guess is that the wire is swinging around a little and rubbing something. It may also be damaged from heat. I will find out tomorrow. I have some of that split tubing laying around too. Good idea there.

Make sure to get the high temp split loom, O'rielly carries some, its only 55 cent a foot. Personally I would change the cable, but if you are going the liquid/conventional tape method, protect it with the correct loom.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_split+loom_-1_-1&keyword=split+loom

Your cable should have been factory loomed and attached to a tab just in front of the Oil Filter adapter. If you google "xj oil filter adapter" and scroll through the pix you will see.

good luck

Back