• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch Harness

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a hitch harness kit you can get for the Cherokee? I remember a few years back when I was first looking there might not be a "kit" and you just need to get a universal?

I got what I believe is a factory hitch off a jeep in the junk yard and was going to get a 4 wire to 7 way adapter so if and when I get a brake controller I can easier wire that into the available pins.

If there is a "kit" which one has the better connectors and correct length of cables?

Thanks.

The body harness has connector behind the left rear panel (behind the spare tire mount), and you can get a factory sub-harness that plugs into that. I believe its a 7-pin connector but I'm not 100% sure. Your three legit options are (1) see if the dealer can get it and what they would charge, (2) search the junkyards for similar year XJ with a hitch and then pull the harness, or (3) wire up your own sub-harness and splice in your own connector. I would avoid aftermarket kits unless they specifically describe 7 wires.

Back