• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shhh, don't tell the XJ guys...

DaKing

NAXJA Forum User
I've been building my MJ for while now.

Just helped my son put on a lift on his XJ.

The front lower arms mounts look weaker then the MJ. The transmission cross member is secured with 4 bolts, not 8 like on an MJ. The rear spring mounts on the XJ, not as well designed as on the MJ.

Looks like they put more strength in the MJ then XJ :)

Oh, and to anyone that has removed the rear springs from an XJ, respect... Thought it was going to take ~1.5 hr to install new springs. Spent ~6hr, just on one side! Both bolts got stuck in the bushing sleeves. The other side went smooth.

Shh, dont tell, we also have MJ's. Biggest drawbacks to the mj include a tiny passenger compartment, stupid ride height sensitive rear proportioning valve, and the shorter '4dr' style doors.

Shh, dont tell, we also have MJ's. Biggest drawbacks to the mj include a tiny passenger compartment, stupid ride height sensitive rear proportioning valve, and the shorter '4dr' style doors.

I need to remove the prop valve on mine soon. My old 4runner years ago had one and the brakes got amazing after removing it... especially now that the MJ is lifted...With it had 2 door doors.

I need to remove the prop valve on mine soon. My old 4runner years ago had one and the brakes got amazing after removing it... especially now that the MJ is lifted...With it had 2 door doors.

when you do this, get an XJ proportioning valve.

the MJ valve has a bypass line. When you delete the rear valve the bypass line has nothing to go to. You'll never get the brakes bled, and more imporatanly, if the proportioning valve blocks off the fronts it diverts full pressure to the bypass line. If it's not hooked up you will lose both circuits.

when you do this, get an XJ proportioning valve.

the MJ valve has a bypass line. When you delete the rear valve the bypass line has nothing to go to. You'll never get the brakes bled, and more imporatanly, if the proportioning valve blocks off the fronts it diverts full pressure to the bypass line. If it's not hooked up you will lose both circuits.

good to know- I have a few XJ prop valves. I will probably swap it all at the same time .

In the short run, can I just bend the MJ swing arm down on the rear axle since I lifted it ? - seems like you could.

I have had good luck in the past just buying a wilwood adjustable prop valve, and running fresh brake line straight to the rear from the wilwood valve and running the fronts straight up.

just unhook the arm from the diff and secure it in the 2 o clock position. That's full brakes, same as if it had a load in the bed.

otherwise, just extend the arm the amount of lift you gave it.

and if your load valve works, please don't throw it in the trash. They are not available.

Ok good to know.

The dual diaphragm booster upgrade is fantastic. I did this while eliminating the rear valve. The difference in brake performance is amazing.

At 6' 250#'s I don't have any issues with the cab or doors.

I wheel mine regularly. Hardly a trip goes by the someone does not comment on the MJ's ability.

I've been telling XJ owners that the MJ is superior in every regard for the last decade.

It's no secret.

I work out of my 2dr xj or comanche. I hate working out of the comanche, as the cab is TINY, worst of all worlds... Im 6', 250 lbs as well, i obviously dont 'have any trouble' with it, its just small, and cramped. You fart and your breathing it for 10 minutes, no thanks. Small windows, unless you convert to late model xj doors... etc.

Not to mention the rear cargo hold isnt waterproof AT ALL. Everything gets dirty, etc.
Ive worked out of every xj/mj body configuration, 2dr xj ftw.

Other than that, sure. EVERY REGARD, lol.

wing vent windows every day over the larger late model glass.

Mine never leaked or got things nasty in the back with a proper fitting cap. Fix yours.

lose weight and you fit. My wife is 6' tall and fits just fine in an MJ cab, but she doesn't weigh 250lbs, thankfully, because then she'd be a fatass.

The dual diaphragm booster upgrade is fantastic. I did this while eliminating the rear valve. The difference in brake performance is amazing.

At 6' 250#'s I don't have any issues with the cab or doors.

I wheel mine regularly. Hardly a trip goes by the someone does not comment on the MJ's ability.

Absolutely. Done 3 of them now.

I like the WJ the best.

I'm 6'3" and 250#....have owned and wheeled every XJ/MJ combo there is.

My current rig...needed it to carry 5 people and did not want another XJ.

Does it all...keeps kids out of sun and rain (unless it's bad enough to where we'd have to stop any way)...no different than riding in a CJ/wrangler. I can still put a 4 wheeler in the bed and the seat come out in about 5 minutes to have full use of the bed.

And doors? The only time I have the doors on it is when its NOT being driven.

Back