• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Tie rod end dilemma

I<3Mud

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have a 98 with the HP30... Original owner put on some serious heavy duty tie rod bar... Well the end that goes to my drag link is shot from last weeks wheeling adventure. But it's not stock end. The previous owner thinks he could of sworn it was a chevy one ton end link, but every number I ran from googling it and the 3 hours spent in autozone looking up numbers returned no results...

This is essentially what I need exactly: the same exact thing as the factory OEM outer tie rod (es3096) but with the threads going the other way... But 3098 doesn't exist, and 3095 is too small in diameter, so there's no designated "sister part" to the 3096.

I believe I need a 6-1/4" long (or a little shorter) tie rod where the shank is 7/8" and the ball joint shaft is smaller than 1/2"..

We've tried chevys, fords, jeep and dodge and just can't find the tie rod end to replace my blown one. I Literally need the exact same thing as the es3096 but with threads going the opposite way on the shank, not the ball joint shaft .But obviously it exists because somebody made the one that's blown. Any help at all is appreciated!

ES2234R and ES2234L are the standard Chevy "1ton" ends most people use. ES2027L and ES2233L are also commonly used on the drag link.

Edit: Pics of what you have would definitely help!

Look up on google "es3096 tie rod" as a picture reference... I need exactly that just with threads going the other direction

The 3096 is the factory zj tie rod for v8 models. It's plenty beefy. The stock other side is much smaller, that's not the one I need.

You probably have a tie rod that uses the 3/4 ton dodge rod ends.
ES2847R ES2848L are probably the #'s you need

^hahaha I like this guy... I will post pics....

So basically as you know the outer tie rod attaches next to the wheel, it then is threaded into the tie rod bar (aka sleeve) which is not the oem one... Then the inner tie rid attaches to the drag link and is threaded into the the tie rid bar. This tie rid emd is what blew on me. It is not stock. It is exactly like the factory outer tie rid but the threading on the shank that goes into the tie rod bar is threaded in the opposite direction. The oem sized inner tie rod end is too small. I'm wondering if maybe the tie rod end i need is manufactured by/ for an aftermarket upgrade kit through an offroad company like rustys or something.

On the 2848 and 2847 it seems like the ball joint shaft is 1/2" or bigger... I need it the size under 1/2" diameter... The factory sized diameter. The actual shank that goes into the tie rid bar needs to be 7/8" diameter

He gives you the part numbers.Have you Used then to see if they are the same. They would be also a little cheaper in price i would think

The replacement part # for the tie-rod ends are:
#52005739R / MOOG part # ES3096R (Right Hand)
#52005739L / MOOG part # ES3096L (Left Hand

Yes... The 3096 is the only one autozone carrys. They don't have a R or an L... They only have the one...

I'll prob wind up ordering it through rustys... Just wished it was readily available and under the lifetime warranty like every other part on my front end is.

One more quick off the gun question... The outer tie rod end and drag link end go under the knuckle... Can i just flip the setup so the end joints go in from the top? like an OTK setup?

My local NAPA has ES3096(LH) and ES3095(RH) in stock for less than Auto Zone.

O'Reilly Auto Parts and Advance have it too.

Try another store. Auto Zone doesn't have everything and if the computer doesn't pull it up, they aren't much help.

When I have a problem the folks at NAPA hit the paper catalogs. So far the paper parts catalogs have not failed.

Last edited:
The outer tie rod end and drag link end go under the knuckle...

A picture of your setup would really help. There's some pretty common steering "upgrades" that are done to these things. Does your tie rod go from knuckle to knuckle, or from draglink to drivers knuckle with the drag link going to the passenger knuckle?

That picture on Rusty's site is a tie rod, but what length, it just says it's beefier than stock, so I assume it is the length to go from the drag link to the drivers knuckle. (inverted Y).

@MD21722, The es3095 part number is the stock inner tie rod which is not what i need as it is much smaller... the es3096 is LH... the es3096R is the RH version, which is what i need and it appears only rustys has this part...

@Mark, as previously stated, the setup i have goes as fallows... outer tie rod end connects to the LF knuckle, the inner tie rod connects to the drag link. the lower end of the drag link connects to the rf knuckle... the upper part of the drag link connects to the coupler to the pitman arm... the rustys tie rod bar in that link (the one i have) is just a replacement for the stock one... it bolts up the same way, just has a solid much larger in diameter tie rod bar and beefier tie rod ends

Back