• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 XJ will not start or crank.

Bhowrey

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ with a 4.0 and automatic. After getting fuel it would not start to cranking nothing happens other than the radio turning off.

So far I have taken apart the NSS cleaned it and replaced I then tested for continuity and it is testing correctly. I have cleaned all the ground cables I can find. I have pulled the starter and cleaned the connections. I have tried moving relays around from systems I know are working. So far the only way to start the rig is with a screwdriver on the starter solenoid.

I am looking for help maybe I am missing something.

Thanks

have you checked the cps (crank position sensor)?

the plug is just behind the intake on the drivers side. and the sensor its self is located on the the transmission near the top on the drivers side. (had to use about a 12" and 6" swivel extension to get to it. pretty sure it was a 13mm socket we used.

also. it could be your ignition switch broke and is not making full contact.

Looking at the solenoid, there is a small stud between the two large studs. That is the ignition wire. Please check to see if its getting voltage when the key is turned to the crank position. You can use a voltmeter while somebody else turns the key, or if you're alone at night you can strap a 12v light to it (ground to chassis either way).

That will tell you if the solenoid is getting power. If it is getting power then the solenoid is defective (all you're doing with the screwdriver is bypassing it). Otherwise you will need to trace backwards through starter relay, NSS, etc.

Back