• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rekeying ignition tumbler

jcshaney

NAXJA Forum User
This is kinda a off the wall question but has any one tried rekeying the ignition tumbler on a 1997 cherokee. Just thought it would be a great idea if the same key would start my 1998 dodge truck that would start the jeep. I know you can rekey the door lock tumblers on older stuff but I have never tried an ignition tumbler.

It can be rekeyed. A locksmith will do it for next to nothing. Mine seized up a while back. I think to have it rebuilt it cost around like...$25? Not very much at all.

Both are Chryslers. Odds are in favor.

I think my '96XJ and '95 Dodge both use the same blank. Confounds The Bride every now and then.

How about just cutting one side of the key for the Jeep, the other for the truck? If it works, it would solve the problem of the door lock on one of the vehicles. Just put a little notch on one side of the head so you know which way is up for the Jeep!

Back