• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a better mounting system for my roof basket

Kevin108

NAXJA Forum User
I've found lots of results, but little real info. Right now I have a Curt C18115 with the Curt C18117 extension. I've had it mounted across 4 stock XJ roof slats with its stock mounts, but I'm looking to mount it more securely and lower to the roof. Any suggestions?

2014-04-16125732.jpg

IMG_20140429_080629.jpg

2014-05-08072734.jpg

this is how a buddy of mine mounted his custom rack.

he welded a bolt to some angle and used a nut through a sleeve to synch it down..
this will probably be the way i go with mine.. (notice the sleeved mount drops all the way down in the drip rail to center his rack left or right. )
sorry for blury pic its all i have though.
20141209_163211.jpg

It won't really help getting it any lower, but from a "secure" standpoint your best bet would be to purchase either a Yakima or Thule base rack system to mount the basket to. One of the biggest issues with the factory bars is that they simply are not rigid enough. Either of the main aftermarket systems use steel tubular bars that are very rigid. I'm partial to rain gutter mounted systems because you can create the most spread (I used to run a 3 bar system and would use the ends for boats and some combination of an end and center for skis, bikes, roof box, or whitewater kayaks). According to their catalogs the capacity is the same (assuming 2 bars) whether you use the rain gutter mount or the upgraded factory rail. The other added benefit is that both of the major aftermarket systems are lockable to the vehicle which is nice piece of mind since they are unfortunately not cheap.

Back