• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No heat, blower works, 2000 Classic

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Its been a while since any of my Heeps have given me issues but now my 2000 wants to be a little &!$#.

I have no heat, heater hoses are both hot, blower works

What is it?

^^ this. Earlier Cherokees had a blend door that was cable actuated. Around 2000 this was changed to an actuator motor. Mine would get stuck on "heat". Its held on by 3 screws and pretty easy to change. No need to remove dash or trim panels.

Here's a schematic of your Blend-Air Door circuit:

jpgBlendDoorDiagram21_24_13.jpg

Great responses guys! I'm just now getting around to working on this.

The blend door motor is working, both heater hoses are hot, I'm still getting cold air out the vents. Occasionally it will get warm then goes back to cold.

Any ideas?

You have verified that the blend actuator is actually moving the vent? I would take the actuator off, take it apart, inspect it for broken gears. While it is off inspect the blend door shaft.

Well I found the problem. No antifreeze = no heat. The water pump has catastrophically failed. Water runs out of bit as soon as I pour it in. My 74 year old mom has been driving it with no coolant. This can't be good.

New water pump and t-stat installed and all is well. Drove it about 20 miles with no issues and plenty of heat. I'm so glad the head didn't crack or the head gasket didn't blow.

Yeah, that would do it. Surprising that you found both hoses to be hot.

My heater core was pluggued up to all hell and both of my hoses were still hot. I figure it was just a matter of me waiting too long to check them (or my tender, dainty, sensitive, little hands). Engine compartment gets real hot, so one way or another those hoses are both going to heat up if you wait long enough - especially if no fluid is moving through the heater core, because then I suppose it's just the rubber of the hose itself heating up with no fluid moving through it to cool it even a little?

Doesn't really apply to the "no coolant" issue here, but still, don't rule out a clogged heater core just because both of your hoses are hot. These cores freaking LOVE to clog. Love it more than producing heat as far as I can tell!

Back