• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Hello & Heater Motor Installed Incorrectly by Previous Owner

TrashRatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Folks,

Just signed up and am new here. I've got to say this is a great resource and its already solved a couple issues for me.

I recently picked up a '96 Cherokee Sport V6 4L Auto with 185K on it. I love it.

This is my problem - My heater fan died so I bought a replacement, did my research and was ready to swap out the dead for the new. I removed the washer fluid reservoir and got ready to remove the 3 bolts that hold it into the firewall. HOWEVER... There are no bolts. It looks like its installed from the inside and I do not want to have to break down the dash to get to it.
Its been spliced to the old clip so I can tell that this is not the original motor so I am thinking that maybe someone reinstalled it incorrectly?

EVERYWHERE I have looked shows 3 bolts that hold the blower motor in. Why is mine different and has anyone ran into this. Thanks in advance for your help!

image1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image3.jpg

Welcome to the site, it does have tons of good info

Not sure what you have, but 100% sure it isn't a V6. 4l engines are of a straight six design, not V6.
And technically, it's not the heater motor....it's the blower fan motor which provides the air movement for heat as well as A/C. I say this cuz it too me a sec to figure out what ya meant from the title.

Now, is the pic of yours or what you found searching ?

Normally the fan assembly (fan motor, mounting flange, & blower wheel), has screws holding it to the body that go thru the flange, not bolts, and into the body. The flange has to come out with the fan.

If what you bought is just the fan motor itself, then you will have to:
1) remove the flange/fan assembly (try not to detry the gasket, but if you do, you can probably make a new one from some camper/topper sealing foam tape or similar)
2) remove the blower wheel from the motor shaft paying attention to how it is mounted so it will spin the correct way when you put it back in (be careful, old blower wheels are easy to break and hard to find),
3) verify the new motor shaft will let the blower wheel be mounted the same way & at the same depth on the shaft in relation to the flange (to verify it's the correct motor)
4) remove the bad fan motor from the flange & again verify the new motor will mount the same exact way in the flange as the old one (again, to verify it's the correct motor)
5) install the new fan motor in the flange
6) install the blower wheel on the new fan motor shaft at the same location in relation to the flange as it was on the old motor, otherwise, it may rub or be hard to install in the vehicle
7) re-install the complete assembly in the firewall
8) reconnect the wires (suggest testing it prior to actually connecting/crimping the wires to verify it blows air the correct way)

Last edited:
Thanks for all of this wonderful detailed info TRCM. I thought the "straight six" meant 6 cylinders... I emphasize NEWBIE here.

Got the heater motor out. Looks like over 10 years of lint is what killed it? I'm embarrassed to say that the 3 - 1/4" screws are what threw me off. I was expecting bolts for some reason. Its all set now. I also replaced the rectifier. Feeling accomplished.

However, not blowing super hot. Its warm but nothing to write home about. I guess I'll start with a new thermostat. If not a flush of the heater core. THANKS AGAIN. Look at all that crap!

image1-1.jpg

It's all good.....just one of my pet peeves.

I am surprised at how many people selling a cherokee claim it has a V6 engine. Well, to me, if you are selling me a vehicle and trying to convince me it is worth the high price you are asking, you should at least know what engine configuration it has or I am not gonna believe much else you say either.

Don't forget, a bad heater control valve will also give you low heat (the valve that controls how much hot water gets to the heater core), as well as a plugged heater core. A bad thermostat can affect that, but only if it is stuck open.

I would start with the flush 1st.......and make darn sure the system is completely filled & vented.

Next would be the flow control valve, and then lastly, the blend door under the dash.

(also listed in order of difficulty)

Just a note...that does not appear to be lint. It looks more like a mouse has pulled up insulation to make a nest and it has been getting sucked up into the inlet of the blower. It wouldnt be the first time a mouse has tried to set up shop inside a Jeep.

Just a note...that does not appear to be lint. It looks more like a mouse has pulled up insulation to make a nest and it has been getting sucked up into the inlet of the blower. It wouldnt be the first time a mouse has tried to set up shop inside a Jeep.

My thoughts as well.........

Back