• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P1694

bldeagle10

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ SE 4.0 AW4 stock

BACK STORY:
Drowned my jeep, water over the hood, and up to the bottom of the center console. Drove it home the next day, sat for a year, pulled motor and put new motor in, sat for another year.

Got life situated and started working on it. Went to fire it for the first time and it just cranks and CEL came up

Tried checking CEL but the OBDII port acts like it's dead. When you hook up the scanner it doesn't recognize being plugged in.

Pulled PCM, plugged it into our second 99'XJ. That XJ was able to start and drive, and was able to pull the code off. (P1694 no BUS between PCM and TCM CCD error)

Pulled my TCM and put it in the second XJ, throws CEL but is able to start, have not read code, need to grab a scanner from person borrowing it.

Replaced CPS because I had read sometimes that was the issue with this code. No changes. Checked and all grounds are hooked up. Double checked the grounds that are specific for PMC/TCM. Looked at wiring harness and can't see evidence of rodents chewing anything (common in my area)

Help me save my XJ before I burn it to the ground?

Logically, one might suspect a short circuit related to previous submarine activities. The problem may also be from a faulty CPS, or CPS wire harness issues.

P1694
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63167
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_code_p1694_mean_for_a_2000_Jeep_Cherokee

P1694 Fault In Companion Module. No CCD/J1850 bus messages received at the power train control module (PCM) from the AisinWarner Transmission Control Module (TCM).

P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes
-Faulty TCM
-CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
-CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
-Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged.

(Wiring issues or a faulty TCM should be the first suspect)

When the CPS short circuits the engine computer (PCM) shuts down to prevent damage to itself. As a result, there is no communication (P1694).

Disconnect your crankshaft position sensor then put the ignition key in the on position. If the instrument cluster voltage and fuel gauges start to work once the CPS is disconnected, then you know the CPS or CPS wires are shorted and is the root cause of the codes. You can verify this by testing the CPS and checking continuity and voltage on the CPS wires.

P1694 Diagnostic Procedure
1. Using scan tool, clear TCM DTCs. Start engine and let idle for at least 2 minutes. Using scan tool, retrieve TCM DTCs. If DTC P1694 returns, go to next step. If DTC P1694 does not return, go to step 5.

2. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and speedometer do not operate properly, see appropriate INSTRUMENT PANELS article.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.

Back