• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended idle stopped working... plus some.

dohc91gli

NAXJA Forum User
SO... I finally got around to replacing the leaking power steering pressure line. Got it taken care of. Thought to myself, 'now lets take care of the mess that has accumulated'. I wanted it gone. out came the degreaser and hose. All clean. Problem is. went to start it. and got the code for the TPS and one for the transmission. P0123 and P0122 i believe. can't remember now. so I popped in a known working TPS and the code stayed gone. Went and bought myself a new TPS, cleared the code again. Everything is right as rain. I was wrong. Now I'm getting a high idle while in drive, and neutral after warm, and have noticed my Extended idle switch will not work at any time. WTF?:huh: ... No codes, just acting stupid... Anyone ever have this issue, or can offer some insight?

Hasta

2000 XJ.
Auto.

If you hosed the engine with cold water while the engine was still warm, it may have warped any number of things causing a vacuum leak and causing the high idle.

Sounds like the engine just didn't care for the bath.

I unhooked my battery overnight (didn't mean to for that long, just forgot) then blew out the connectors for the PCM, used dielectric grease on them. Hooked everything back up. started it up, idling high... i got in, the extended idle switch was on, turned it off. idles perfect. problem solved.

The engine was dead cold when I washed it. I know better than that. Just glad it was just the TPS and a computer reset. passible a little water on a PCM plug.

I unhooked my battery overnight (didn't mean to for that long, just forgot) then blew out the connectors for the PCM, used dielectric grease on them. Hooked everything back up. started it up, idling high... i got in, the extended idle switch was on, turned it off. idles perfect. problem solved.

The engine was dead cold when I washed it. I know better than that. Just glad it was just the TPS and a computer reset. passible a little water on a PCM plug.

I was hoping you hadn't washed it while hot. I meant no offense, but you never can tell. I've read about some simple mistakes like that here before. Glad you got it dried out and working again.

If you hosed the engine with cold water while the engine was still warm, it may have warped any number of things causing a vacuum leak and causing the high idle.
What happens when you hit a water hole on a trail with a hot engine?

dohc, it just sounds like a sensor or two didn't like getting wet.

What happens when you hit a water hole on a trail with a hot engine?

Depends on how deep it is. Most folks I know will let their engines (4x4 or ATV) cool off before crossing creeks and deep holes. Cold water can crack/warp a hot engine from the outside just as well as adding cold coolant to an overheated engine can cause cracking/warping from the inside.

So, they wait hours for the engine to cool before crossing?

No, maybe thirty minutes. Long enough that the engine isn't at full operating temperature.

I don't have the wheeling experience or the knowledge that you probably have. Off roading is a way of life here for many though. I have crossed many creeks to access tobacco fields and tobacco barns. I've been told all my life that you don't put a hot engine in cold water. I understand that people do it but that doesn't mean it's a great idea.

If you have enough money that you don't have to worry breaking something, then go right ahead and plow through some high water with a hot engine or stop at the carwash and spray your hot engine with cold water. I don't have that kind of money so I take precautions.

Back