• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knucle Swap with OTK Clearance Question with different style wheels.

Mtb Jak

NAXJA Forum User
People who have done the mod what type of wheels do you have?

Alloy/Steel
Backspacing
Brand
Any need for spacers?

I had the OTK with the offset TRE's (I think this is the problem)

I have your typical steel american racing wheel that is

15 inch and 4" of back spacing thats what I was told at the tire shop (bought them used). The TRE's contacted the wheel so a small spacer was added as well as a slight clearance of the casting on the end link.

It contacted where the wheel weights were on the inside of the lip.

YgBKiGC.jpg

izxowCn.jpg

It is getting towards spring time and I am getting some new wheels and tires and want to make the jump to a 16" alloy. I am wondering if 4.5 back spacing is too little for this set up? Would the extra inch provide the clearance in that critical area? I know alloy wheels are "thicker" so they wont be gaining the whole inch on the inside diameter.

Thanks for any input. It might be something I wont know till I test fit it but the people at 4wheel parts do not seem to know what the hell is going on.

sTD85jw.png

The new wheel I have been looking at is the Method Racing NV in 16x8 which looks like it comes in only the 4.5 back space.

I searched a lot about this and a lot of
Hasta

Last edited:
I was in the same boat, i have 15x8 cragar soft 8 4 BS. I shaved my calipers down to fit fine but when turning wheel my TRE would hit the weights. I did shave my TREs a little but it wasnt going to be anywhere near enough and tried using basic spacers but it still wasnt enough you cant use very thick ones anyways you wont have any lugnut thread left.

I had to get 1 inch hub centric wheel spacers and that solved my problem until i move up to 16 inch rims later on even though i wish i could keep 15s. If you had 16 steel with 4.5 BS you might be ok but with alloy i think it would be too close you might need at least 4.0 Going to have to somehow measure things up to know for sure unless you could somehow test fit.

best pic i have not long after installing and you can kinda see my clearance with a 1 inch spacer. I wanted a fair amount of clearance to make room for any flexing that could take place.

Yea those TREs arent offset like ours or youd be close as well. They move the TRE closer toward the front side of rim.

I really think if your planning on new wheels, 17's would be the way to go! Way more options for tires as well.....

17 inch but also they have 4.75 inches of back spacing, won't that look weird?

Depending on your tire size, as spacer would need to be used for rubbing issues.
When I do my WJ swap, I plan to either use heims or Moog Oe replacement TRE's they have a bend in them for clearance, 24mm thread shank and, have a stock taper but do not stock out as much as the offset rod ends.

ya my tires would be 12.5 inches wide and would most likely rub the hell out of my long arms or even my leaf springs... ugh

3.5 or less BS sounds like what you need. SO, find wheels that you like that will work, instead of having to run wheel spacers. Unless you find a deal on some Rubi Moab wheels. Then run spacers/adapters and go!

Back