• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Safety Switch

2WDNICK

NAXJA Forum User
I did mine today, Installed a new one.
After reading all the horror stories of how difficult it is to get them off I was a little curious, how could it be so difficult? It should just slide right off......... Well..........
Mine did not have anything preventing it from coming off, no dirt or buildup but it still would not slide off. I used penetrating oil, grease, pried on it different ways with two screwdivers and still it would not come off..... :eek:
I could grab it and slide it out but then it would come to an abrupt stop.
So......... I grabbed a small file, gently filed down the very edge of the shaft with only one or two strokes and It slid right off..... :clap:
I could feel with my finger, A very slight burr on the end of the shaft that was preventing it from coming off.

Last edited:
Brain over brawn I applaud you! :) My days of "get a bigger hammer" or musclebraining most things are way behind me. My youngest son hasn't learned that lesson yet, his last big screw up was using a hammer to put a new CAT on, he not only screwed up the CAT but cracked my exhaust manifold.

Your victory gives me hope that someday he may learn that lesson also.

Mine was a little difficult to get off. It got close to coming off and same thing, got stuck. Wiggled it for a bit and it came off. Mine had a lot of dirt and grim around it.

Cleaned mine and re-installed for many more years of use!

I struggled with mine for a while, pried on it way too harshly and cracked the housing.... ouch. Only spare's connector didnt match =\

After all that, i pb blastered it, and it came right off.

$250 mistake.

Mine came off pretty easily but I really took my time and worked it off slowly. Patience is the key if you want it to be a quick and cheap repair.

Thanks for the compliment.
I am still wondering if the NSS i bought is a knock off?
It looks original, it has the same exact markings and diagrams as mine.
I wonder if its a direct copy or if someone is rebuilding used ones and selling them on Ebay? LOL....

Back