• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Straightening tie rod = weaker tie rod?

jrowell

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a jcr 1 ton tie rod for about 8 years or so. Every once in awhile I have taken it off and used a press to straightening it. It seems to be taking less time between straightening sessions now. Would the bending back n forth weaken the steel? Thoughts?

Trying to decide if dropping $100 on a new rod is worth it.

Yes.

Any metal, if you keep bending it and bending it and bending it, gets more malleable in the place you're bending it.

If you want to test this, get a paperclip and bend it back and forth for about 2 minutes. It'll snap.

The term you are looking for is "metal fatigue".
There is a certain amount of bending for any given metal structure that it can take, going back / forth, indefinitely.
As the bending gets further and further, the number of cycles (back / forth) it can take decreases.
On it's way to breaking, the metal will just be weaker - deforming further for a given amount of abuse.
Can you see where this is going?

When I first upgraded my XJ's steering, I bought an aftermarket 'beefy' tie rod. Thing bent my first trip out. I think it was smaller tubing than the Moog stock replacement tie rod on my WJ...

Yes.

Any metal, if you keep bending it and bending it and bending it, gets more malleable in the place you're bending it.

If you want to test this, get a paperclip and bend it back and forth for about 2 minutes. It'll snap.

Nit-picky sure, but for those who may be interested, the metal actually gets more brittle (less malleable) as it's bent, especially into the plastic region (called work-hardening or strain-hardening). This leads to surface cracks that will then propagate with further stress.

Little bit of conflicting mindsets for sure. I can see how bending it significantly back and forth would weaken it (like the Paperclip mentioned earlier) But a slighter bend... or bow if you will... that's where I'm not sure if that significantly weakens it.

Either way, a New rods being shipped out.

Little bit of conflicting mindsets for sure. I can see how bending it significantly back and forth would weaken it (like the Paperclip mentioned earlier) But a slighter bend... or bow if you will... that's where I'm not sure if that significantly weakens it.

Either way, a New rods being shipped out.

The biggest problem IMO is that once it's bent, it's nearly impossible to get straight again. You may get it close, but it now has a substantial weak spot which is only going to bend again.

I've bent my Currie twice. I've flattened it out twice. I'm gonna bend it again. If it breaks or starts showing signs of fatigue, I'm going with the savvy offroad Currie tie rod upgrade made of heat treated chromoly 43xx. It actually bends and flexes but returns to original shape. Quite impressive for $170.

Back