• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Downpipe differences between 1997 and 2001?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing a 1997 XJ downpipe in my 2001 XJ (don't ask why), and am having one hell of a time pulling it back far enough to the rear of the vehicle to seat it in the exhaust hanger at the transmission crossmember.

To my knowledge, the crossmember and corresponding hanger are the same for 97-01 XJs... Am I wrong on this?

The original one slid out with no problems, as did the 97 downpipe when I removed it from the donor. I'm perplexed as to why I'm having such a hell of a time installing it.

Both the crossmember and transmission hanger mount are different. It never occurred to me that it would impact the exhaust though. 2001 exhausts used all flanged components rather than welded.

The 01 XJ crossmember is drilled a little different to take a different transmission mount that has centered rather than offset studs.

The 01 XJ exhaust mount at the transmission is a long cylindrical bushing rather than the square block used in earlier years. I am not sure if the cylindrical bushing is more forward than the the square block. I thought both were centered on the heavy plate they are mounted to.

There is one more difference between 97 and 01 models for the exhaust. On 01's, at the end of the tailpipe, by the muffler, there is no rubber block mount. Off the round rubber piece, there is a rounded piece of steel where an exhaust clamp is used to bolt the exhaust pipe to the mount.

I have both a 01 and a 97. I can't post pictures to the forum but can text pictures if it will help.

Last edited:
Absolutely - huge differences there. I'm installing an APN header (99-down) so it should jive just fine once I get them on there.

Currently, no headers are installed on the engine... Just trying to get the downpipe in there and mated to the cat before moving forward with the header installation.

Both the crossmember and hanger mount are different. It never occurred to me that it would impact the exhaust though. 2001 exhausts used all flanged components rather than welded.

The 01 XJ crossmember is drilled a little different to take a different transmission mount that has centered rather than offset studs.

The 01 XJ exhaust mount at the transmission is a long cylindrical bushing rather than the square block used in earlier years. I am not sure if the cylindrical bushing is more forward than the the square block. I thought both were centered on the heavy plate they are mounted to.
Son of a... I had no idea. I definitely have the cylindrical bushing at the crossmember.

I've got a 98 in the driveway, so I'll crawl under there and start measuring. Thanks for the info! Worst-case scenario, I could cut ~2" off the downpipe hanger (since it's so freaking long to begin with) and get it in there.

Back