• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front diff/drveshaft problem

guillermo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi...Last week I began hearing a grinding rotational type noise coming from the front. I removed the front drive shaft and it went away. I than replaced all 3 u joints on the driveshaft and re-installed it. The original noise is gone but now when I go to 4wd, the front makes a popping noise, especially with a sharp turn. Works well in 2wd. Both transfer and diff levels are good. Where should I start looking to find problem? 2001 XJ w/ 4.5 lift & 242 t case. Thanks!

U-joints in the axle. The popping may have been masked by a problem u-joint in the driveshaft.

David Bricker / SYR

are you in full time or part time 4wd?

if in part time are you on dry pavement?

I will replace the axle u joints this week. As far as the noise while turning in 4wd, I was on dry pavement in part time...I know it's for slippery surfaces but I was trying to find out where the noise was comming from.

I will replace the axle u joints this week. As far as the noise while turning in 4wd, I was on dry pavement in part time...I know it's for slippery surfaces but I was trying to find out where the noise was comming from.

you're getting the noise and binding because you're doing it on dry pavement in part time. you will break something if you continue to do this.

If you know it is for slippery surfaces, then stop doing it. Don't worry about weird noises that occur when you are doing stuff you shouldn't be doing. Worry about weird noises that occur when you are doing stuff you should be doing.

Back