• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping steering and hubs

Wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever tried to use a wj front axle steering components on an xj? This is my 3rd xj and in the past the factory drag link never could hold up to my wheeling. I just recently sold my 09 jk and never had any issues with it after several weekends on the trails. Friend of mine has a complete wj front axle and the steering looks just like my jk's so I'd like to try to pop off the singles and put them on my existing Dana 30....my new jeep is a 99 xj. has it been done?

Take the knuckles from the WJ and the brakes. Swap them to the XJ with new lower BJ's for the WJ. Yes steering in theory works... But you need to shorten the DL and Tie Rod. think its about 4" for DL and 5" for Tie Rod

Ok that sounds like what I wanted to know. Only thing is I'm pretty sure the wj bolt pattern for the rims is 5x5.5. Anyway to use the 5x4.5 hubs and rotors with the wj knuckles? I just don't want to purchase new rims. Also I just put new pads and rotors on

I have access to a complete axle, it was from a wj with no title so I'd assume you could get one cheapest from a junk yard. I just want the steering links for mine bit if I have to just swap the whole axle then I'm ok with that too. I just hate the idea of having to change my wheels, that's what will jack up the price!!!

Ok that sounds like what I wanted to know. Only thing is I'm pretty sure the wj bolt pattern for the rims is 5x5.5. Anyway to use the 5x4.5 hubs and rotors with the wj knuckles? I just don't want to purchase new rims. Also I just put new pads and rotors on

There are a few write-ups about the conversion around, but you will need to get jks(or other co) hub spacers and have them welded to the knuckles. YOu should be able to use your existing hubs. You will need/want to use the WJ associated brake parts.
In theory, you may be better off selling the WJ 30 and using that money to get a bolt-in high steer knuckle. And make your steering links.
Either way, running high steer will also require an OTA TB bracket and new/modified trackbar.

Like Johnnie said. Lots of write ups. You use 00-01 xj hubs, wj lower ball joints, wj calipers, rotors that are redrilled to 5x4.5, you can reuse the steering from. The wj but I'd recommend against it and go otk tie rods or heims with ota track bar

You can't re-use the steering from the WJ, it is the wrong width.

Need to buy aftermarket tie rod and draglink, and re-use (or buy new) WJ ends to thread into them.

You can't re-use the steering from the WJ, it is the wrong width.

Need to buy aftermarket tie rod and draglink, and re-use (or buy new) WJ ends to thread into them.

Some have cut and sleeved the WJ links, so it CAN be done. But, it is not plug n pray.

Some have cut and sleeved the WJ links, so it CAN be done. But, it is not plug n pray.

I guess I should have said it as "need to build custom steering".

Which that would qualify as, just you know, a really shitty version of doing it.

Back