• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overdrive issue

RandyQ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 with an aw4 trans, and randomly I have been getting a check engine light usually when its really cold outside and i dont let it warm up for a while like 20 minutes and i jump on the road and run 55-60 mph, and it wont go into overdrive when it does it, it kicks out of overdrive after about 45 seconds and holds it in 3rd with the torque converter locked like its in 3rd gear...then if i shut it off and drive it home from its fine, check engine light is on still but i read the codes and i got a code 89? I didnt check my nss but everytime i go into reverse the lights come on so i didnt think it was that...just wondering if it could be a solenoid sticking because its so cold? btw its been -10 to around 0 degrees lately here

Does the 98 have the knockdown cable that can be adjusted like the earlier ones do?

If so, I would verify that it is set correctly.

Yes it does, I adjusted it a few times, funny you mention that though because i did adjust it about 2 weeks before it started acting up...it only does it maybe once every week and a half and its done it to me i think 3 times total so far

change tranny fluid, and also consider changing out the OD solenoid. clean all tranny wiring up first and check for corrosion.

I change my trans fluid regularly and I have 3.73s in my jeep with 33s, but ill check the wiring, are the solenoids on the outside of the trans or do i have to take the pan off?

IIRC, both fwd solenoids are OFF when in OD. Could be a "sticky" solenoid. But testing them is recommended.
This would lead me to believe that the fault seems more likely to lie within the tps or the brake switch.

You may be getting somewhere...every once in a while if i hit my brakes with out my lights on the odometer gets dim like the lights are turning on, idk if that has anything to do with it or not but I just noticed it like a few months back before any of this overdrive stuff went wrong, but its been fine for the last week no check engine or anything lol

Back