• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unit Bearing Compatability ?

dktool

NAXJA Forum User
I have a couple extra unit bearings that were handed down to me to use as trail spares.

I have a '98, I read somewhere that there was a year change on these where the "hub" protrusion is around 3/4" whereas the earlier version is around 1/2"

Is this only to accommodate a thicker brake disc or is the spline axle spline length longer on the later type ?

The spares I have are the 3/4" type, can they be used on my '98 if I have the 1/2" type or are they of no use to me ?

Thanks in advance for the info.

With matching rotors, either style of UB will work. Basically you will need to pull a wheel, caliper and rotor and measure the lip of your UB. If same, they good to go. Otherwise plan on carrying a matching set of rotors as well.

You will find out real quick if you have a unit bearing that is the wrong size. I just did work on a 99 and had the wrong unit bearing and when I bolted it all in with the tire on the ground the disc of the brake was grinding into the knuckle and the jeep wouldn't even roll when I gave it throttle.

With matching rotors, either style of UB will work. Basically you will need to pull a wheel, caliper and rotor and measure the lip of your UB. If same, they good to go. Otherwise plan on carrying a matching set of rotors as well.

this.
I've run early rotors and bearings on a late model axle with the late model calipers.

rotors and bearings must match.
calipers and knuckles must match.

Back