• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 Starting Issues

riotcontrol

NAXJA Forum User
Recently, since it has been cold, my 95 auto 4.0 has had difficulty starting. When in the off position, the ignition cylinder operates normally. One click forward (in what would be the ACC) position, everything loses power. One click forward from that (ON) everything functions as normal. When starting it, it cranks and starts fine, but will occasionally die when releasing the key from the START position. After a couple of tries, it starts and stays running. When in the OFF position, turning the key backwards (CCW when looking at the ignition cylinder) it acts like it is in the ACC position.

Any suggestions? Am I looking at a new ignition lock cylinder? How easy are those to replace if so?

One click "forward" (clockwise) should be the Run position. Next click forward should be start. One click CCW should be ACC position. At least that's the way it is with my '89. I agree, probably ignition switch.

One click "forward" (clockwise) should be the Run position. Next click forward should be start. One click CCW should be ACC position. At least that's the way it is with my '89. I agree, probably ignition switch.

I have a click between off and run that does nothing. Completely stumped.

I have a click between off and run that does nothing. Completely stumped.

Replaced Ignition Switch (it was clearly burnt out) and the problem is gone. Figured I would replace the Lock Cylinder while I was at it. Thanks for the help guys!

I still have the mysterious click between OFF and RUN... Oh well, at least it starts every time now!

Replaced Ignition Switch (it was clearly burnt out) and the problem is gone. Figured I would replace the Lock Cylinder while I was at it. Thanks for the help guys!

I still have the mysterious click between OFF and RUN... Oh well, at least it starts every time now!

That Dead click you're talking about is supposed to be there and has a definite purpose. It unlocks/ retracts the internal locking pin on the steering wheel, but does not engage any electrical contacts with-in the ignition switch. Most XJ's have it, but most people don't notice it.

Now for the WHY ....
It's used for flat towing your XJ. You have to unlock the steering column for towing purposes. Here is the factory sequence I use to flat-tow my '96 w/AW4...
1. Shift trans into Neutral.
2. shift T/C into Neutral.
3. Shift trans back into Park but leave T/C in Neutral.
4. Put key into ign. lock and turn 1 click towards Start (clockwise)
5. Hook-up lights and attach tow-bar and take-off!

That Dead click you're talking about is supposed to be there and has a definite purpose. It unlocks/ retracts the internal locking pin on the steering wheel, but does not engage any electrical contacts with-in the ignition switch. Most XJ's have it, but most people don't notice it.

Now for the WHY ....

It's used for flat towing your XJ. You have to unlock the steering column for towing purposes. Here is the factory sequence I use to flat-tow my '96 w/AW4...

1. Shift trans into Neutral.

2. shift T/C into Neutral.

3. Shift trans back into Park but leave T/C in Neutral.

4. Put key into ign. lock and turn 1 click towards Start (clockwise)

5. Hook-up lights and attach tow-bar and take-off!

Ah! That makes perfect sense.

Back