• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump issues

Goose_XJ88

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
manual

Ok so Ive been having a problem with my fuel pump in my second XJ. It wouldnt start so I checked for fuel. Nope. Noticed I didnt hear the pump priming with the key. Connected a "new" pump to power to dry test, turned the key and it energized. Unplugged to try old pump; nothing.

My thoughts, sweet its just the pump. Plugged new in, turned the key and nothing. :doh: What the heck. Plugged both pumps into my 88. Old one didnt work, "new" one did. Next step was to hook the "new" on back in to the 93. Removed the pump relay and replaced with my 3 spares, every one out of my 88, and even each one from the 93... still not working. Decided to jump the fuel pump relay and it works. :wow:

Can anyone shed some light on what I am missing. Is there a fuse somewhere I am missing? I tried google and it just brings up zjs. Please help me get this fixed so I can get it back on the road.

Im not trying to get fuel up to the fuel rail yet, just want to power the pump with the key.

I can't offer much help other than a google tip, whenever I google anything about the cherokee I always just add -grand. Adding -grand filters out results containing the word grand. - and + in google are very useful as well as "s.

UPDATE:
Ok, so I decided to try something I read about on a thread when I was researching today.. bypassed the plastic looking think on the driver's inner fender. IT WORKED! plugged it back in and it still worked! now I just need to replace a broken in-line buss fuse to see if it will turn over.

I think that's what it is. IT works with the key now so I'm going to keep the ballast resistor for now. Just have to replace an inline buss fuse now to see if that's the prob with my push button ignition not working.

Back