• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ Code 76

xj1934

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I have an xj that isn't running correctly. It went from not being able to start only cranking. CEL shows code 76, which is the fuel pump resistor circuit open. Problem is 95 doesn't have a fuel pump resistor. I have been able to get the jeep to start and run at idle but am not able to drive it due to choking out under acceleration. I have replaced the fuel pump, filter, ecm, cleaned all of the intake sensors, checked for vacuum leaks. Same problem still lingers, any suggestions? Thanks

figuring out what the real code is is the first step. 76 is obviously not correct, I suspect you are counting the flash codes incorrectly.

first code will be 12 and last will be 55. What comes in between is the code/s you need.

I think your 94 should have a fuel bump ballast resistor located under the hood on the drivers side fender near the air box. Its the white thing with two wires plugged into it. Make sure the wires are on there nice and tight and you can also jump a lead between the two wires bypassing the resistor and if that resolves your issue then you know you need to replace the resistor

I think your 94 should have a fuel bump ballast resistor located under the hood on the drivers side fender near the air box. Its the white thing with two wires plugged into it. Make sure the wires are on there nice and tight and you can also jump a lead between the two wires bypassing the resistor and if that resolves your issue then you know you need to replace the resistor

OP has a 95....so says the thread title.

reading the code correctly, that's what its spitting out. 12-76-55. what about the conditions? Hard to start, stalls out once started, erratic idle, stalls and chokes under acceleration. haven't found a vacuum leak yet, not sure what else to look for

Whats the part # on the ECM? it might have a transplant from a prior year..

76 is not a code for 95 and wouldn't even be in the programming for it to flash it out.

your right, the ecm was out of a 92. I managed to find a 95 at the junkyard, p/n 56027698 and plugged it in. Same problem but no code 76 anymore as expected. still runs rough and stalls out. Any other place you can think to look?

Found the culprit, ended up being a bad MAP Sensor that was causing it to run rough. Thanks for the input.

Back