• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Intermittent Stumble / Runs Rough HELP

Ugly's2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with 215,000 miles only 58,000 on reman longblock. Intermittenly the jeep on a cold start up will idle poorly and almost want to stall. I can always tell when its going to start happen by the sound of the exhaust. Usually if I rev the engine up it will clear and be ok for awhile. Happens with no ryme or reason. If I try to grab the throttle at the throttle body and raise the rpms slow it will pop and stumble and you can hear it run like crap. Fuel pressure checked when happens and is good.

I also experience intermittenly when driving the same type of stumble and pop through the intake. Usually happens after light throttle like cruising at 40mph, then go to get in the throttle and the issue is there. When it happens more consistanly the CEL will come on at times. Always a O2 Sensor codes P1032, P1035, P0138. The upstream 02 was replaced 50K ago just after engine was installed. The downstream once but not sure when. When issue is not present the 02's are fine, voltages good, heaters woring etc. I have checked all wires and connections and are good, no rubbed wires and harness in all factory holders. Throttl body been cleaned, IAC removed and cleaned. When issue first started thought was coil pack and replaced but made no change. I have tried wiggling harness to make happen with no luck. I have checked all fuses - good. Vac lines at cannister are good and in place. I put a fuel pressure guage on the rail and pressure and volume are adequate.
The fuel injectors were replaced with MOPAR OEM ones around 40k miles ago cause 1-2 were leaking down and dribbling in the intake causing a hard start. Looking at the guage cannot see that as an issue.
I also replaced the cam sensor a while back cause it was chirping and eventual contacted the sensor and had to replace whole unit. I have checked that the new one was installed correctly and also performed the tooth pic check. This issue started shortly after that issue... I think.
Has anyone ever had any issues with the harness that has caused a similar issue? Bad splice, bad ground, feedback etc? I have a scan tool and cannot find the sensor that could be causing this? I am at the point to take this to the dealer but I dont want someone to throw parts at it and waste my money.. I have had many of these jeeps over the years and have wrenched before but this one has got me puzzled... Any insight is appreciated...

Sorry to be so long winded but wanted to include all I could think of...

Mine was doing similar. It went away after changing plugs, wires, and reseting the ecu.

Was told it was o2 by the buddy I bought it from, but after the plugs and wires it gone. The ecu helped with the idle and mpg.

I have replaced the plugs twice as been dealing with this issue for awhile now and have reset the ecu many times with the DRB scan tool. Last week it ran perfect w/o acting up for 5-6 days in a row, it was so nice to have my jeep back, good MPG, idle and no issues.. I just dont think is the 02's as it is intermittent and comes an goes...

I may take it in and have the dealer put the data recorder on it so they can see what is going on.. Scan tool only picks up data so fast...

Had a similar issue with my '96, standard, did as mentionned above. It would still happen when it got very humid. Acdentally fixed it when I had to replace the cat converter and downstream 02 sensor. Might be a coincidence, is there a way to check the said sensor it self?

Back